904/727 dimensions

-

ne57

Reaction score
I notice there are some small diffs between the two. I have a 66 Dart currently w /6 and 3spd manual but will be installing a 392Chrysler with a sb auto. I'm wondering how the installation will go with either trans regarding mounts lining up and so forth. Overall length I think is not a prob since I need a driveshaft anyway made to custom length. Bell diameter difference seems insignificant, bigger hammer. What about the bell to mount lengths? Would the shorter 904 tend to pull the motor rearwards as opposed to a 727? I'll be using a trans adapter, I dunno the thickness offhand, which might compensate a little, maybe.

Car is snow impacted at the moment so i can't crawl under it to see.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=130450
I haven't found any dimensions for the /6 manual package so I don't have something to compare to. But I need to decide between 727 or 904. Help appreciated.

First, unless you are making a one-off adapter you cannot use a 904 on an EarlyHemi. The starter on the 904 sits about ½" higher than on a 727 and will hit the block. In order to use the 904 you will need to slightly rotate the trans CCW to drop the starter position.

Beyond that, use the trans mount as is/where is and allow the engine to move forward. This will provide some, but not much, additional space behind the cylinder head.

Hey Wayfarer! You've given lots of good advice at thehemi.com so thanks again.
Wilcap says their adapter, which I have an older model of, is for a 904 among others. Which is why i started thinking 904.

http://wilcap.com/392318.PDF

What you say about the higher starter makes perfect sense since I can see on my block that someone previous had been monkeying around at the block ear by the starter...like he was trying to make a 904 fit.
Decision made, I'll stay with a 727.

Yeah I was concerned about behind the head clearance as I'm thinking I might like to put the heater hose there to neaten things up.

You just saved me a $2000 mistake!!! Thank you.

FYI, that little square 'nob' on the corner of the 392 block will need to be remove for any late trans/starter swap.

The previous owner appraently removed the knob already. I was leery about it but the machine shop checked it out and gave an OK. Thanks!

-
Back