904 and stall converter q's

-

comoxian

Reaction score
Had my car in the shop to try and stop the leak that makes a mess of my garage floor. I was told by the previous owner that it was the front seal that leaked. I had the seal, and I also bought a converter from a member here, that says it's a 3000 stall converter.

We pulled the tranny, pulled the pump, installed new seals and gaskets. Put in a new filter and pan gasket. Installed a small starter from a '98 Dodge truck, sure takes up a lot less room.

Got it all back together, started her up and it was making a whirring noise.

Does a high stall converter generally make a whirring noise? Or is it something else that I should be looking for?

And, does a 904 normally have a bolt-on yoke? It's been a couple decades since I've had a 904, so I don't recall the design. It also seems that one of the previous owners has bastardized the driveshaft. It appears to have the front of a Furd shaft welded to the body of a Mopar shaft.

I didn't take my camera to work, as I didn't know I'd be putting the car in the shop. I'll take pics on Monday.

So, who's the guru of all things 904?

TIA, for any and all info.

Whirring noise definitely isn't normal. Check your flexplate/converter bolts. Everything went together smooth??

My factory 904 shaft only bolts at the differential, with four small bolts and straps.

Sounds to me like you have a 904 from a 64 or earlier with whats called the "ball and trunnion" front flange. This is not a basterdized ford product but an actual Mopar installed item. After 64 they went to the conventional style slip joint U-joint set-up. In 1965 only the 904 and 727 trans had the slip joint front, but retained the pushbutton capabilities. If you can find a 65 trans, you can either remove the tail shaft and replace the entire assembly on your trans so you retain the cable operation but have the U-joint tail, or just replace your entire trans with the 65. The whirring sound is not normal or good, and it sounds like a trip back inside is in order. I would have to hear it to identify the problem, but I would not drive it until it has been diagnosed. Take it back to the trans shop and have this checked immediatly. Good luck with the Dart. Geof

Here are pics of the tail end of the tranny, and the front end of the driveshaft. There's a "governor" just ahead of the crossmember, I believe it's to engage the park pawl?

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

Sometimes when you first assemble them they'll have air in the lines and cavities in the trans and converter that'll cause the "whirring" noise but it should go away in just a few minutes when all the air gets worked out of the system. Have you tried running it through the gears while on the rack to see if it acts right?

Forgot to mention...........

When we took the tranny out the second time, 'cause fluid was just pouring out of it, we checked the converter and found that it didn't fit properly on the shaft. It must be for a newer version of the 904. That would probably explain the whirring noise?

Just waiting on the correct front seal and we'll put her back together. Still can't find the right rear seal, all that we can find is a 2.25" OD rear seal, and I need one that's only 2" OD. Anyone know where to find one?

Is the torque converter for a '68 and later car? The pilot hole is different diamenter for pre 68 and post 68. If yours needs a spacer search on e-bay under "torqueflite 904" and a guy that goes by TorqueflitePatty sells the spacer.

Here are pics of the tail end of the tranny, and the front end of the driveshaft. There's a "governor" just ahead of the crossmember, I believe it's to engage the park pawl?

I'm running a 1964 pushbutton trans and it looks like yours. Like the other guys said it should have been a slip yoke pushbutton trans, but maybe your Dart was a early model year and they used a left over trans from 64 or someone else replaced it. On the convertor I had to change the input shaft to run a newer style convertor. The spline was different. Now maybe someone did that already but you might want to verify if you take it apart. I have the same driveshaft like you are running. Looks like yours broke and somebody rewelded it on right before the large dia of the tube or is that grease? Goodluck. Jysnflem

Test and Tune.jpg

just had the oposite problem on my 904. From what I found out was that early 904's have a 18 spline input shaft and later have a 27 spline. If you want I'll sell ya mine it's a tci breakaway for your early style trans.I'd trade you but you probably chewed the teeth off the stator on the one you have.pm me if interested

just had the oposite problem on my 904. From what I found out was that early 904's have a 18 spline input shaft and later have a 27 spline. If you want I'll sell ya mine it's a tci breakaway for your early style trans.I'd trade you but you probably chewed the teeth off the stator on the one you have.pm me if interested

I was thinking that around 67 and earlier there were less splines.
I did'nt know the numbers though

Sounds to me like you have a 904 from a 64 or earlier with whats called the "ball and trunnion" front flange. This is not a basterdized ford product but an actual Mopar installed item. After 64 they went to the conventional style slip joint U-joint set-up. In 1965 only the 904 and 727 trans had the slip joint front, but retained the pushbutton capabilities. If you can find a 65 trans, you can either remove the tail shaft and replace the entire assembly on your trans so you retain the cable operation but have the U-joint tail, or just replace your entire trans with the 65. The whirring sound is not normal or good, and it sounds like a trip back inside is in order. I would have to hear it to identify the problem, but I would not drive it until it has been diagnosed. Take it back to the trans shop and have this checked immediatly. Good luck with the Dart. Geof

So if the tranny has a typical slip joint setup to the drive shaft is it safe to assume that it has 27 splines on the input shaft? I have a '66 dart w/ a 2-bbl 273 and my 904 doesn't have a ball and trunnion...

So if the tranny has a typical slip joint setup to the drive shaft is it safe to assume that it has 27 splines on the input shaft? I have a '66 dart w/ a 2-bbl 273 and my 904 doesn't have a ball and trunnion...

No. Early isn't defined as just the ball and trunnion units. Early is 62-67 and late is 68 and up. Your 66 will be a 18 spline input shaft and have the small 1.55" pilot hub.

No. Early isn't defined as just the ball and trunnion units. Early is 62-67 and late is 68 and up. Your 66 will be a 18 spline input shaft and have the small 1.55" pilot hub.

Thanks, Fishy!

I'm told their is a better selection of tq converters for the 27-spline... is it possibel to convert the input shaft or am I better on getting a newew 904 for my build?

Thanks again.

Thanks, Fishy!

I'm told their is a better selection of tq converters for the 27-spline... is it possibel to convert the input shaft or am I better on getting a newew 904 for my build?

Thanks again.

Your welcome. Yes there is a much better selection for 27 spline units. I have worked on a bunch of 727's and it's easy to convert them over to the newer spline but I've never done a 904 conversion. I'd assume since they're basically the same trans it'd be the same conversion. I can't say positively but I bet if you'd get a rear clutch assy. (that's the one the input shaft is attached to) from a 68 or 69 unit it'd swap right in. They made some other changes in 70 so I'm not sure if they'd work.

Also don't forget your 66 engine will have the small pilot hole in the crank. That could be a problem because unless it's custom made converter they don't make a 27 spline converter with a small hub.

Front drum, input shaft, reaction support and pump. Basically the whole front sub-assembly in the case.

I have the same issue with the pouring out of the trans. This has been a great trans for me for about 15 years. I wonder if the shop is using the wrong seal???

-
Back