904 automatic transmission

-

blakealbano

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 71 Dart with a 904 automatic transmission and transmission fluid keeps overflowing out of the dipstick tube. Has anyone had or heard of this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Blake

when its not running and cold, it reads about a half inch over the full mark, but when it is running and warm it reads about a half inch below the add mark

Is the fluid coming out from the top or around the bottom where it goes into the trans? And when does it do this?

are you saying it is literally coming up and out of the top of dipstick tube where the fluid goes in?

What does the fluid smell and look like ?

When fluid comes up the fill tube it usually because its overfull or overheated.

Check your cooler lines for restrictions (kinks,bends, etc.) also check the cooler.

Sounds like it's overfilled.

i would say you have a blockage somewhere out to the cooler or the return line. i would drop the pan, change the filter , unhook your pressure line and get some compressed air into the line and blow it all out and to make sure there are no obstructions. and only IF the fluid is nice and pink. if the fluid is brown and smells cooked, the trans may be about toasted.

-
Back