904 build cost

-

iggys68dart

Reaction score
will be rebuilding a 904 soon or having it built need to know ballpark figure of what i can expect thanks just need the basics

I've been quoted around $1200-$1600 or so depending on if it needed performance parts.

Learn to do them yourself. They are EASY. Spend under $100 on a video and tech guide.

Parts might run $200 and you have a lifetime of being able to do them yourself.

1200 for a 904 trans rebuild to put in a driver is insane IMHO.

If you can find a good Mopar trans builder that builds on the side, it should run about $450-$550 w/new convertor. That's for a nice healthy stock rebuild with a TF-2 kit installed.

Anything above $700 is pure RETAIL.

as crackhead said...they are easy trans to rebuild...

buy a good kit...

you need snap ring pliers...a tool to compress clutch pac...and bushing drivers..

you can take the clutch pac to a trans shop and let them do that for you for a few bucks...and like wise let them R&R the pump bushing..tail shaft bushing and drum bushing.

definetly gonna have to expand my horizon cause i was hoping for a max of 250 oh well guess its something else i will have to learn if i like it or not lol

Rebuilt my own for $210 total, $130 master kit and $80 TFII kit. Plus whatever new fluids cost. This was my first trans rebuild and I must say it was way easier that I thought. I also bought a ATSG book for specs and guidance that shows you how to make special tools if needed.

,Cliff

I just recently did my own rebuild and all the parts including extras like the TF2 kit, red alto clutches and the converter was 250 shipped. easy to do and now I have a solid 904 that can handle future engine mods.

thanks guys i just cant afford to throw cash at it i think i will get that book thanks cliff i am a little overwhelmed at cracking a tranny open so i am going to see if i can find one that dont work and see what happens when i open it and thanks to you cam it is building my confidense/confidence lol

Just got the 904 back from REMAC - Stage II shift kit and a lower first gear complete - $700 out the door.

Torqueflites are so simple to rebuild even a cave man can do it.:thumrigh:

Sorry I couldn't resist, LOL

Seriously they are super easy. I rebuilt my first one in high school auto mechanics shop. Another kid was rebuilding his at the same time. Both worked fine and neither of us had any experience with any transmission in the past. Their just a super simple trans. Just set up a good clean work area and go at it.

The one tool that made the biggest difference was a hydraulic press, to squeese the clutch springs and replace the preasure plate seals. Other that that it was all hand tools and a lil elbow greese.

I thought for sure that springs, ball bearings and irreplacible parts were going to fly everywhere when I went to open it. Mine is a '63 PB 904. It turns out that the clutch packs are very similar to that of a motorcycle. And the one place to pay special attention to is the valve body when puting in the shift kit, still fairly simple though.

Good luck, and we are here for you if you get stumped.

,Cliff

You could get all the parts including new bands and as long as no HARD parts are needed in the 250-350 range max... All new seals good clutche, steels washers, seal rings bushings etc...
+ convertor etc...

-
Back