904 cable shift question

-

plugger340

Reaction score
I have a 904 tranny with a ball and trunion ouput. Did the early A-bodies use the same type of cable (but different lengths) for push button shifters and the floor mounted shifters?

I think only 1965 cars had the floor mounted shifter(A body), prior years had a dash mounted push button assembly.. 1965 is a 1 year only deal-- conversion year to the more common style linkages.
Lawrence

I think only 1965 cars had the floor mounted shifter(A body), prior years had a dash mounted push button assembly.. 1965 is a 1 year only deal-- conversion year to the more common style linkages.
Lawrence

Can an early 904 tranny be used for either application, or are the tail pieces different?

1965 has a different valve body--- I think all cable transmissions were the ball & trunion type-- 1966 they switched to the slip yoke style---

this is for the slant version-- not sure if the v-8 version switched to slip yoke any sooner

there is a few threads on the specific differences- between 65 vs prior years transmissions-- Lawrence

Cable shift was used 65 and prior, for console, column(65 only) and push button (64 and prior) applications. The cable hookup and trans end of the cable should be the same with all of them. I cant say for sure about slant 6 transmissions, but I know for a fact that 65 was a one year only trans for v8 cars - it had a cable shift and grease lubricated slip yoke. All others have a flange at the output for the ball and trunnion mount.

-
Back