904 Conversion to 727 in early a-body?

-

64bluefish

Reaction score
I've got a '64 Barracuda that I'm putting a 360 with a 727 into. The car is a 904 pushbutton auto. The 727 that I have is a '64 pushbutton also. The first thing that I noticed is the transmission mount location is about 1.5" forward of the 904's. How do I solve this problem?

The mount is the smaller of the problems. When I put the 727 in my 65' Valiant I drag race I had the put a bigger tunnel in the car because the stock tunnel was not big enough. This is with a 75' 727, the mount on that trans went right in the stock crossmember and was able to use the stock a-body engine stands. I do not remember what the mount position is on a cable shift trans, it's been awhile since I looked at one. I just know the distance fron the block to the mount is the same on later trannys, or at least the ones I've seen. I would just beef up your 904. I was going to run a 904 but desided on the 727 in case I wanted to upgrade to a big block later.

I would like to run the original 904 but have been told by a couple of knowledgeable people that my specific year '64 904 pushbutton cannot be built up to withstand any kind of hp like later 904's. I would like to keep the pushbutton feature.

I just finished mine, a 360 with a 727. In retrospect, I'd replace the tunnel also, with a larger unit. However, for now, I dropped the tail stock about 3/4" and extended the perch on the mount the same amount. The stock location (for and aft ) was very close to the final rest.

Is it a slant 6 tranny you've got now? You can find the numbers on the drivers side of the tranny. I don't think the slant 6 one will bolt to a V8 though.

A-904-G = slant 6
A-904-LA = V8

Why not get a later style 904 (same as a 904 with a different number) like an A-500 or A-518 or A-998 or A-999. I don't know all the ins and outs of installing one of these, or how to convert them to the cable shift, but I have read lots of stories of people successfully using them in this way.

Here, an old email I saved from the EVBC List.

http://www.imperialservices.net/Imperial%20Services%20-%20'60-'72%20A-Body%20Parts.htm

These cables allow the use of your stock '64-'65 Console with a '66-up
transmission. Currently available as a commonly available B&M shifter cable
with adapters. Includes B&M Heavy Duty cable; upper adapter with bushing;
lower bracket, shift lever and hardware, and lightweight spring for valve
body detent.

Thanks for the information.
I'm running short on time and had to do something.
I've got a local second generation Mopar guru rebuilding my early 904.
He knows I have both early 904 and 727 and said that if he thought the 904 build would not hold up, he would have directed me to the 727.
I now know I have options with going to a later 904. (thanks 65s)
I knew he (Imperial) was working on something, I didn't know he had it done.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Mark

-
Back