904 donor car? (And 200R4 question)

-

Lecki6

Reaction score
I've been having trouble finding a list of cars that came with the small block 904.. The slant 6 cars that came with a 904 (TF6) have a different bell housing that won't work for a 360 mag swap (or so I've come to understand) I want to do an extensive Craigslist and yard search for a 904. I may include the 200R4 OD in the search but I'm not sure how much better/different it is from the 904 but I've been told you don't need floor or frame mods to get it in. Tips appreciated!

Any V8 rear drive car or truck. You can also find an A500(904 with OD)or 518(727 with OD) in trucks vans and Dakotas.

I've been having trouble finding a list of cars that came with the small block 904.. The slant 6 cars that came with a 904 (TF6) have a different bell housing that won't work for a 360 mag swap (or so I've come to understand) I want to do an extensive Craigslist and yard search for a 904. I may include the 200R4 OD in the search but I'm not sure how much better/different it is from the 904 but I've been told you don't need floor or frame mods to get it in. Tips appreciated!

You may be able to find someone selling a 318 or 273 cheap on craigslist with the 904 and sell the engine. Otherwise, any small block auto would have been a 904. Although I guess maybe some 360s came with the larger auto.

I'm considering the 200R4 route myself. I have a small block 904 if I decide not to. You don't have to cut the floor, but you do have to cut the upper crossmember and brace it, as well as make a new lower crossmember. It's not overly difficult from what I've seen, but it's not a simple bolt on.

The other aspect to the swap would be linkage. I think you have to fab up a new link somewhere in the shift assembly. You also need an adapter plate to bolt up to the mopar motor. Not a cheap item! $750 if I recall correctly.

So around $1200 for a beefed up 200r4, $750 for the adapter, and if you aren't a fabricator, I'd guess $600 to cut and weld everything up. Starts to make the gear vendors option more appealing.

visit your local junk yards and see what they have for 70's cars and vans.

-
Back