904 End Play

-

T56MaxTorq

Reaction score
Which selective discs do I need to increase the clutch pack end play? I'm at .013" My 727 book says reduce the pump-to-front clutch disc but I have the smallest one in the there. And the front-to-rear drum disc is the largest. This is how the PO had it. I did have to change the front drum because it was trashed. And is the end play specs the same as a 727? Thanks in advance guys!

Your question is kind confusing because your combining terms of the drive train end play with clutch packs calling it clutch pack end play when there is no such thing. There is clutch pack clearance where the clearance of the clutch discs to steel discs are set and there's drivetrain end play that is set by selective thrust washers which it sounds like your asking. If you are referrring to the drivetrain end play a 904's end play is set differently to a 727. The front clutch carrier to the front pump and thrust washer between the clutch packs should be .061~.063. The drivetrain end play is set using different thickness thrust washers between the input shaft and output shaft. They come in 3 different thicknesses but by your description your issue may be the thrust washer between the clutch packs is too thick. If it's not .061~.063" change it and re-check the end play. The factory serv. manual calls for .022-.091 end play. I like them tight so things aren't slapping back and forth and I shoot for .020".

BTW: how are you checking the end play? Do you have the trans standing on the tailshaft forcing it all the way forward or sitting on a bench allowing the tail shaft to go all the way back?

Sorry for the confusing terms. Let me start over. I'm trying to set input shaft end play but don't know what thrust washers to change. I have the front and rear clutch pack clearances already set.

I have the trans on a bench, pan side down with the pump and flat gasket in place and torqued down.

I first measured about .013" end play. I'm positive the front clutch tangs are fully engaged in the sun gear shell, meaning all clutch discs are engaged correctly in the rear clutch pack. My 727 manual says to change the thrust washer between the pump and front clutch retainer, I cannot do this because it is already at it's smallest thickness. I then checked the washer between the 2 clutch retainers and it is a large .090 washer. I swaped it for a .070 washer. Checked endplay and it was .040"

Fishy, are you saying I need a .062 washer between the 2 packs and only change the washer between the front pump and front clutch pack?

Sorry for the confusing terms. Let me start over. I'm trying to set input shaft end play but don't know what thrust washers to change. I have the front and rear clutch pack clearances already set.

I have the trans on a bench, pan side down with the pump and flat gasket in place and torqued down.

I first measured about .013" end play. I'm positive the front clutch tangs are fully engaged in the sun gear shell, meaning all clutch discs are engaged correctly in the rear clutch pack. My 727 manual says to change the thrust washer between the pump and front clutch retainer, I cannot do this because it is already at it's smallest thickness. I then checked the washer between the 2 clutch retainers and it is a large .090 washer. I swaped it for a .070 washer. Checked endplay and it was .040"

Fishy, are you saying I need a .062 washer between the 2 packs and only change the washer between the front pump and front clutch pack?

No problem T56.

Yes you need a .062 washer between the clutch packs. But you also need a .062 washer between the front clutch carrier and pump. It's the small metal washer between the input shaft and output shaft that needs changed to adjust the end play. But like I said if the previous guy installed a washer thats too thick between the clutch packs (such as the .090" washer you found in it) that sounds like your problem. Sounds like all you need to do is leave the .070 washer in it and you'll be good since .040 clearance is good.

Again, do not go by what it says in the 727 manual because you adjust the end play differently in a 904. I know their basically the same transmission and don't have a clue why Ma Mopar designed them that way but that's how it is.

Awesome thank you, Fishy! This really helps me out. Although I do not have the metal washer for my 904. It is just a flat, fiber washer that is inbetween the input and output shafts. The kit gave me a new washer but it has slots that my output shaft doesn't accept so I had to reuse the old one. Is this maybe my problem too? So far I'm going change the thrust washer between the 2 clutch retainers to the .062 and use a .070 washer for the pump side. This should give me about .040 clearance. Oh, and do I need to load the output shaft in a certain direction when checking input shaft endplay?

Glad to help T56. Unfortunately I haven't done hardly any 904's so I'm not sure on the washer thing but I'd say as long as the one came out of it is good and you have .040" after you change the other washers you'll be good. I always push in on the output shaft until it's bottomed out. When you do that it reduces the end play to the minimum it can possibly be. If you do that and still have .015" or more your good.

-
Back