904 factory torque converter ID

-

awg329

Reaction score
I am replacing my 1977 318 904 with a 1969 318 904 . My 77 318 904 had a torque converter from a slant 6 that stalled at 2600 rpm with my 318. It has a cracked hub, so I can't use it. The 1969 318 904 has an unknown factory style torque converter. I haven't found numbers on any of these torque converters.
Thanks for any help

I am replacing my 1977 318 904 with a 1969 318 904 . My 77 318 904 had a torque converter from a slant 6 that stalled at 2600 rpm with my 318. It has a cracked hub, so I can't use it. The 1969 318 904 has an unknown factory style torque converter. I haven't found numbers on any of these torque converters.
Thanks for any help
Two types available from Chrysler.
A low stall, approximately 2000 stall and a High stall. approximately 2300-2400.
These converters fit ALL 225, 318 engines from 1968 on.
In 1978, Chrysler went to a lockup style converter.
Again, from the factory, Chrysler put a decal on the pump (hub side) of the converter. One was a tri-angular decal that said LO STALL, the other was kind of egg shaped and said HIGH STALL. Too the best of my knowledge, if decal is missing, there is no way(short of cutting it open) to tell which one it is. If it's a rebuilt converter and you know who the rebuilding company was, there should be their part number on it, and by contacting them, they will be able to tell you.
I don't know if the 1969 converter is a rebuilt unit or a used one, but if it's used, it might not be a good choice. My reasoning for saying that is, a converter is a sealed unit, and unless you get it cut open you really don't know what it's really like. Buy a rebuilt unit from a reputable company.
JMHO

Last edited:
Two types available from Chrysler.
A low stall, approximately 2000 stall and a High stall. approximately 2300-2400.
These converters fit ALL 225, 318 engines from 1968 on.
In 1978, Chrysler went to a lockup style converter.
Again, from the factory, Chrysler put a decal on the pump (hub side) of the converter. One was a tri-angular decal that said LO STALL, the other was kind of egg shaped and said HIGH STALL. Too the best of my knowledge, if decal is missing, there is no way(short of cutting it open) to tell which one it is. If it's a rebuilt converter and you know who the rebuilding company was, there should be their part number on it, and by contacting them, they will be able to tell you.
I don't know if the 1969 converter is a rebuilt unit or a used one, but if it's used, it might not be a good choice. My reasoning for saying that is, a converter is a sealed unit, and unless you get it cut open you really don't know what it's really like. Buy a rebuilt unit from a reputable company.
JMHO
Thanks for the info. I was afraid this might be the case. I was hoping someone would have a trick to ID factory hi stall converters.

Some I've seen with stamped numbers and some with stickers. Of course and some with nothing.....probably had stickers. Just look everywhere on it, very closely.

-
Back