904 For Towing Duties?

-

GTXperience

Orig Stealth Mod
Reaction score
Can one consider a 904 as a viable option for occasional towing duties? Here is the scenario. I am thinking of picking up a B-body wagon with a 318/904/8.75. I have plans to rebuild the 318 (stroked to 392 w/a RV cam, etc.) and use the 8.75 (after going through it). I'll deal with springs/bags later. The only other questionable major component is the 904. Usually, I would never even consider it and immediately throw in a 727 (or these days, perhaps a 518).

Over the last x amount of years, 904s have become very popular on the strip with the aftermarket supporting all of the necessary internals. Is anyone aware of internal kits/components (knowing some may be the same as the race trannies) to build a reliable 904 capable of towing? The wagon would be used for occasional towing to shows and tracks away from the immediate area. Otherwise, it will be a tooling around vehicle. The trailer/car weigh approx 5K (give or take 200lbs depending on the car).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. TIA.

Last edited:
With the right parts and a BIG transmission cooler, not only would the 904 be viable, but better. Since they allow more power to the rear wheels, it's a win win. Plenty of heavy duty parts available for them now. High capacity drums, steel planetaries and the list goes on and on. I wouldn't think twice about it.

With the right parts and a BIG transmission cooler, not only would the 904 be viable, but better. Since they allow more power to the rear wheels, it's a win win. Plenty of heavy duty parts available for them now. High capacity drums, steel planetaries and the list goes on and on. I wouldn't think twice about it.

Thnx RRR. This helps with the purchase decision.

While I am a big fan of the 727 when you need something absolutely bullet proof, I would have no problem using a properly built 904 for a HD application such as yours. I also say go for it.

I agree with RRR, a good trans shop familiar with the 904, some heavy duty internals and a good cooler you will be all set !

It would be a good idea to start with a 999 and put the low gear (2.74) set in if it does not have one already, and then what everybody else says. Then there is the option of a lock-up convertor in the later transmissions.

If i was going to sink money into one I would pull a 727 from an RV that has all the heavy internals and build it to put in there. That being said, ive been towing stuff for years with my V8 4x4 Dakota assuming it had a A518 behind it but one day I jacked it up and it was an A500 which is basically a 904 with overdrive and lock up convertor so I would slap a big trans cooler on there and go towing, build the 727 and set it aside for when it pukes.

One of the main reasons for even considering using the 318 & 904 is that I'm trying to downsize the parts I have laying around. Yes, I gave thought to installing a stroked 360 and a 727/518 but since this is the original motor/trans, I would feel obligated to keep/store them and that's what I am trying to get away from these days. I am not overly opposed to storing the 904 but it looks like most here are in agreement that the 904 could be successfully utilized. Any additional thoughts or sources would be appreciated.

I cant see any reason a 318 wouldnt tow.... many a truck tows with them....
A wagon should tow even better becauseit wieghs less and has a lower center of gravity....and smaller diametrr tires... I would love to set up an old wagon for towing !

I cant see any reason a 318 wouldnt tow.... many a truck tows with them....
A wagon should tow even better becauseit wieghs less and has a lower center of gravity....and smaller diametrr tires... I would love to set up an old wagon for towing !

Agreed, wagons are great towers. I absolutely miss my '70 Plymouth Suburban 440/727 wagon. I set that thing up as a monster tow vehicle. I would pass all the big *** trucks towing cars over the Grapewine in SoCal all the time. The only downside was that it got 10mpg whether I was towing or not. Great wagon.

Can you say RoadRunner Wagon ?
GetAttachmentThumbnail

I bought this wagon in 1990 for the engine and was amazed
when I popped the hood !

Somebody put a RR Aircleaner on it !........ and the Holley Carb too ! ..... and the Exhaust manifolds !! And the 3.23 Suregrip !

then I checked the VIN..... WOW... all factory... including a HD 727...

I was too stupid to save it.... but I kept all the good parts ! Air Cleaner is on my Fastback today..

image.jpeg
That was not a clone.... It was ordered with a RR drivetrain...
Windage tray , correct intake , Carb and air cleaner ( currently on my Barracuda) , exhaust manifolds etc....still had foil packet below the intake.

image.jpeg
Huh.... The pic dissapeared from my first post.... That's why you assumed it was a clone..

-
Back