904 governor screen

-

82CRUISER

Reaction score
Been looking for weeks and can't seem to find a single picture or article on how to install this screen. Pretty sure it was there when I pulled it but I misplaced it. Now I got a new one and can't seem to find the hole. :D
Vin on trans decodes to a 70 v8 trans

The only screen I'm familiar with is sometimes used inside the valve body. Did you have the valve body apart? Can you post a picture of the screen in question?

Governor

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 138
There is a hole in the back side of the governor body that it fits in, and if I remember correctly it goes in point first.

I'll see if I can find it online somewhere.

Can't find a decent illustration, but it does go in point first and one of the holes is shouldered where the large end of the filter sits in there.
I'm pretty sure it only fits in that one place.

Separate the Gov assembly with the 4 bolts, there are 2 holes, one perfectly round one and one with a notch. Put it in the round one without the notch, pretty easy to match up.

If the transmission is from 1970 & the govenor hasn't been fiddled with, you will not have a govenor screen. Chrysler introduced the screen in 1974. The earlier govenor housing does not have a provision for the screen. This is the only picture I have of a govenor housing. It is from a '76 transmission. The circled area is the provision for the screen. Pre '74 transmissions do not have this raised portion on the casting.

22904244px.jpg

Cheers. Gaz

Separate the Gov assembly with the 4 bolts, there are 2 holes, one perfectly round one and one with a notch. Put it in the round one without the notch, pretty easy to match up.

If the transmission is from 1970 & the govenor hasn't been fiddled with, you will not have a govenor screen. Chrysler introduced the screen in 1974. The earlier govenor housing does not have a provision for the screen.

Ah, thanks guys.
Good to know, or re know whatever the case with me is. :D
Been 25 years or so since I was doing them, and I was doing all the common transmissions (Chrysler, Ford, chevy) during that time as well as the BMW, Volvo, Mercedes and Allisons, so as I get older it's getting hard to remember which was which.

-
Back