904 having problems after changing oil pan gasket ...

-

flynlady

Reaction score
We used an engine hoist to change the oil pan gasket, fuel filter gasket and oil pump gasket. The transmission was jammed up against the engine bay and now I'm concerned that we've screwed something up.

The transmission is giving a good jolt when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear and doesn't want to shift into 3rd. I have to let off the gas a little for it to shift into 3rd. :banghead:

Is there an adjustment that is off now? Any other suggestions?

THANKS!!!

I'm guessing you popped the torque shaft out of the bushing and the kick down and/or shift linkage is hanging, bent or out of adjustment. This is the shaft that goes from the frame to the transmission that holds the linkage in place. Fix it or you can fry the transmission. You can find the info in the service manual available for download here on FABO.

Sound like you have damaged the t/v linkage ( bent or sticking)so the trans thinks the throttle is open more than it really is. This will cause late hard shifts.Check that it moves freely and readjust.

Sound like you have damaged the t/v linkage ( bent or sticking)so the trans thinks the throttle is open more than it really is. This will cause late hard shifts.Check that it moves freely and readjust.

Yep, late harder shifts is probably a bent TV lever on the trans causing it to stick in a part throttle position.

If it were the shifter linkage, you would have shifter type problems like not going into park all the way, or the gear indicator being off at the column.
(Like showing between gears when put in a gear)

Once you see the lever problem, you can probably reach up there and push up on it to bend it back to where it is 90 degrees to the trans like the shifter lever is.

Look at this lever on the trans, as it is probably bent down towards the ground and should be straight out.

Attachments

• 904.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 253
UPDATE: so I figure out where is tv lever ... Doesn't appear to be too much out of alignment but husband straightens both and checks other linkage. I take it for a ride through neighborhood and it's still shifting rough. And I'm still having issue with having to mash peddle to floor to go, so we make sure spark plugs are in correct order (this wasn't mentioned early because I assumed this was firing issue).

I ask him to drive it to see what he thinks. As soon as he starts backing out of he garage, he says "well your gas peddle is off". He removes the air filter and sure enough the "mechanism" (whatever it's called) was bent. So husband bent it straight and away we go ... NO MORE SHIFTING PROBLEMS AND MUCH BETTER PICK UP!!! Hoooorrrraaayyyyy!!!

UPDATE: so I figure out where is tv lever ... Doesn't appear to be too much out of alignment but husband straightens both and checks other linkage. I take it for a ride through neighborhood and it's still shifting rough. And I'm still having issue with having to mash peddle to floor to go, so we make sure spark plugs are in correct order (this wasn't mentioned early because I assumed this was firing issue).

I ask him to drive it to see what he thinks. As soon as he starts backing out of he garage, he says "well your gas peddle is off". He removes the air filter and sure enough the "mechanism" (whatever it's called) was bent. So husband bent it straight and away we go ... NO MORE SHIFTING PROBLEMS AND MUCH BETTER PICK UP!!! Hoooorrrraaayyyyy!!!

Why didn't you tell us that it was bent at the carb in the first place?
It would have been a lot easier for us to tell you what was wrong. :D

How did that happen?
Was the motor jacked up with the hood closed and the filter housing bent it?

Why didn't you tell us that it was bent at the carb in the first place?
It would have been a lot easier for us to tell you what was wrong. :D

How did that happen?
Was the motor jacked up with the hood closed and the filter housing bent it?

Didn't know it was bent... It felt just like my previous transmission before it crapped out

The only thing we can figure is that it got bent when the engine was on the hoist somehow

-
Back