904 in 65 cuda won't always come out of park

-

rick1062

Reaction score
I am working on a 1965 Barracuda with a 904 torque flight, stock floor console shift. The problem is:

With the car parked, I start it up and move the shifter out of park and into drive. Sometimes it feels like the park pawl does not pull far enough out, so it is bearly stuck in park but also in drive at the same time, if that is possible, and it won't move. If i give it some throttle I can feel the engine load up, kind of like if you held the brake on hard and put the trans in gear and throttled up. If I then move the shifter back and forth a few times, it seems like it will come out of park and work fine. It drives fine and all seems well. This may happen maybe 1 out of 10 times trying to take off after being in park. I may be in left field, but would sure appreciate some ideas.

It has been this way since I installed the transmission about 6 months ago.:banghead:
It is a very dependable daily driver, except for this issue.

Thanks as always,

Rick

In 65 and earlier, the park pawl is controlled by a different cable than the gear selector. So it seems possible that there is a problem with the park cable either not connected properly or out of adjustment.

Try adjusting your cables. I think it requires that you remove the trans pan...

Check the factory service manual (available free on line).

I'm pretty sure the gear selector cable can be adjusted from outside down on the transmission end of the cable. I would assume the same is true for the park cable.

-
Back