904 issue

-

Sublime69

Reaction score
So i have a 904 in my dart that I bought from a buddy who had it built to handle some power(not sure what exactly was done to it since it been a while since I bought it) . After doing a small burnout the trans has had issues. If I put the car in Drive it will just rev and the car will rock about 1/2". I have to put the trans in 1st and manually shift the car to drive it. It also wont take a lot of power. If i give anymore than 1/4 throttle it will not go. It feels like it is slipping or driving through the converter. The fluid looks brand new too. Any ideas before I start to tear it apart?

Thanks!

Ok ill look into band and servo. I did not shift it during the burn out.. It was in drive.

Ok. So you said if you shift into D the car will not move but in manual 1 or Low you can drive the car? Did I understand that correctly? If so I would be paying a lot of attention to the one way roller clutch (aka sprag). This is the component which hold the low/reverse drum against rotation enabling 1st gear in D. When you shift into manual 1 or low, the low/reverse band is applied around the drum also to hold against rotation. Which is the reason for movement in 1 & none in D. The low /reverse band is also applied in (as it's name suggests) reverse. If you have no issue in reverse, it means the low/rev band is being applied. If the car will not reverse, the band is not being applied or the band itself is damaged.
My bet is a sprag issue. Just drop the pan & check out what's laying around in there.

-
Back