904 Issues

-

GeorgeHerrin

Reaction score
:newb: A litte history first. I have a 87 Ram Cahrger w/318 with 596 360 heads Edlebrock ld4b intake purple stick 284/484 cam and a 625 Road Demon carb. Runs good but trans didnt have second gear. I put the motor in it but bought the truck with the trans issue. Friend gave me a replecement 904 from his 77 aspen was working when it was parked 5 years ago. I put new filter and new factory highstall replacemnt converter new fluid n filter. It worked perfectly shift points pull wise no slip perfectly for two miles. Was turning around to come back to the house backed out on road and nothing. No gears at all forward or reverse. Fired it up this morning worked perfectly again though I didnt go as far, got back home put it in park then back in gear nothing no forward or reverse gears. Gut feeling is something is sticking but what!!! Anybody got any ideas or should I be searching for a new trans. I am mechanically inclined work on anything but never tackled a auot trans. Any thought or help would be greatly appreciated. BTW all the info on this forum resulted in the motor I built and put in the truck. I know this is a A body forum but you guys seem to be the most versitale knowledged mopar guys about.

Sounds like a valve body issue. If you're mechanically inclined, tackling the 904 will be no issue, let me assure you. The 727 and 904 are pieces of cake. Plus, if you have any issues putting it back together there are plenty of persons here willing to help.

I'd pull the valve body apart and clean it thoroughly. Just lay all the parts out in the order you remove them. It's intimidating at first but you'll see they're pretty simple.
Good luck!

There are a couple of different filters depending on the year of the trans, and you need to make sure it's full of fluid.
Chk it in neutral warm.

You can also add another quart of fluid (temporarily) to see if it changes anything.

After these two things you might as well pull the pan and chk the linkage at the valvebody for correct position.
Other than that it comes out.
There is nothing but the linkage that can stick and make it not move at all.

My neighbor say the balls are sticking. My fear is dropping the valve body and they go rolling and I cannot figure where they go!!! Trailbeast Fluid is full was actually a bit over as it was dripping out from dipstick....Well I used the truck dipstick instead of the one from the car as it had gotten lost. BOTH were 904's maybe different though!!! As for linkage sticking do you mean internally or externally.

My neighbor say the balls are sticking. My fear is dropping the valve body and they go rolling and I cannot figure where they go!!! Trailbeast Fluid is full was actually a bit over as it was dripping out from dipstick....Well I used the truck dipstick instead of the one from the car as it had gotten lost. BOTH were 904's maybe different though!!! As for linkage sticking do you mean internally or externally.

I meant maybe the linkage inside the trans isn't lined up right in the valve.
It's a long shot, but the only other thing you could chk without pulling it.
The chk balls are not going to stick and cause this.
They don't fall out either like mentioned above.

A line pressure test might show a problem, but not usually an intermittant problem unless it is doing it at the time it is tested.
Intermittant engagement problems are usually a broken or leaking part.
Like a L-R servo piston, or shattered sealing rings.
(Unless it only refused to move when cold) pointing to hardened rubber seals.

On another note.
The other trans you mentioned could be just out of adjustment at the band.
Second gear will go away if the front band adjuster is too loose, and it will shift from 1st directly to third.
If it does not have a broken front band you might be better off with the other trans.

I drove the other trans like that for 3 years. Was told a broke band. Figured when it quit I would replace it. Finally it did pulled the trailer 6x14 to arkansas and back next mroning no high understand though I have drove this thing all over the country pulling the trailer with it shifting like a 2 spped power glide. But now it is gonna need a full rebuild. Which I intended on just not this fast. Between the motor and getting this one in funds are a bit low right now. Just how my luck runs.

.............If u have atf dripping out of the dipstick tube, u have it very over filled or an internal pressure problem, cause it shouldn't be overheating the fluid............kim...........

Kim I didnt use the dip stick and tube that came with the tranny from the car as it was missing. I used the dip stick from my original 904 out of my truck pans were same so I assumed it reads correct. With it just at the add mark no drip. Anything above that it dripped. Drove twice more today each shorter than the first before same symptoms done with it for the day!! Frustration has sit in time to walk away.

Guys I want to thank everyone for all their input. Its fixed. The tranny has set for awhile before it was given to me. My friend that give it to me spoke with the local tranny man where he is he said the problem was a stopped up filter. I said how I just put a new one in. SO This is how it was explained to me. Because it had awhile the clutch plates scaled over (fluid drying on them) and when I put it in and drove it thru the first few shift it cleaned em all off and deposited it all in the filter. I said OK never heard of that so I came home stopping and buying more fluid and filter and put er back in the shop and me and my son tore into it again. SURE enough the filter was stopped up. Changed it cleaned the pan fresh fluid OH and a new oring on the dip stick as I tore the other putting the trans in. Took it for a drive and she worked like a charm. ALL shift point dead on kick down dead on. drove it about 20 minutes around the back roads here I live in the country stopping occaisionally to check and see if it would stop. ALL good. He said I prolly should change it again in a few weeks to ensure its all out and clean but she works like a charm. THANKS to everyone again for all the advice.

Guys I want to thank everyone for all their input. Its fixed. The tranny has set for awhile before it was given to me. My friend that give it to me spoke with the local tranny man where he is he said the problem was a stopped up filter. I said how I just put a new one in. SO This is how it was explained to me. Because it had awhile the clutch plates scaled over (fluid drying on them) and when I put it in and drove it thru the first few shift it cleaned em all off and deposited it all in the filter. I said OK never heard of that so I came home stopping and buying more fluid and filter and put er back in the shop and me and my son tore into it again. SURE enough the filter was stopped up. Changed it cleaned the pan fresh fluid OH and a new oring on the dip stick as I tore the other putting the trans in. Took it for a drive and she worked like a charm. ALL shift point dead on kick down dead on. drove it about 20 minutes around the back roads here I live in the country stopping occaisionally to check and see if it would stop. ALL good. He said I prolly should change it again in a few weeks to ensure its all out and clean but she works like a charm. THANKS to everyone again for all the advice.

Holy crap!
I didn't even think of that when I mentioned the filter in the first place.

Yep, I'm gettin old. :-D

That's great that you got her going, and a big relief I'll bet.

Yes sir a very BIG relief. Drove her to work the last two days 50 miles one way. So much fun to drive with all 3 gears LOL. When I bought it, it only had two that was 3 years ago. Motor has been in since Christmas. It run ok but with a good tranny and the factory high stall its a totally different animal. I am finally satisfied and enjoying the new feel. Plenty of zip and plain ole fun. Now if we can get some warmer days so I can clean her up. LOL. Again thanks guys!!

-
Back