904 Missing Spring

-

Austin Schlegel

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of putting back together my 1968 904. In most videos I see there is a spring for the circled servo in my pic:
upload_2022-3-14_10-38-12.png

When I removed my vavle body I do not remember seeing a spring there. Does anyone know if I need a spring for 1968 trans?

Thanks

Yes there was a spring there at one time. It is there to soften the 1-2 shift. Most shift kits have you leave it out.

I understand the spring but water pipe ?

I highly recommend, on the street, to not defeat that accumulator. You can put a stiffer spring in there than the factory calibrated one; that's ok. But if you block it, I'd be willing to bet that within a few hundred miles of city driving, you'll belaying on your back, oil leaking on your face, and taking the blocker out. Oh wait; that was me under mine,lol. Do yourself a favor; if you block it, install an oil-drain plug in your pan.... now, lol.

The blocker rod is placed between the piston and the case. That allows the piston to slam into the valve body. I put the blocker pipe between the vb and the piston to LIMIT the piston travel. The piston still moves against the spring, but it's effect is greatly reduced; but not eliminated entirely.

-
Back