904 Not wanting to go into third all the time

-

Krazymofugger

Reaction score
Hey guys I just recently finnished my v8 swap(360 magnum 904 push button) in my 64 valiant wagon and after driving a few weeks third gear started sliping.So I pulled the trans out and had it rebuilt by a guy that a few people recomended. To make this short it's back in and third gear seems to work some times but not all the time.I disconected the kick down completely and still it works when it wants.I've had a few slant six push button cars over the years and never had a problem.I have not even opened the throttle all the way.Did this guy do something wrong?
Thanks for the help Tom

Sounds like a sticking 2-3 shift valve.
Either that or the governor valve is sticking.

You should ask the builder about it, and you should know it's fairly common after a rebuild because just one little piece of crap the size of a pinpoint can stick a valve.
It's no big deal, if that's what it is.
Was the converter flushed or replaced, and were the cooler lines blown out before it was put in?

Heck, a loosen and re torque of the valvebody could cure it.

The converter was sent out to phenix transmissions for a rebuild. I saw the guy drop it off.

Well I guess than I'm going to take the valve body loose and reinstal it.When I am driving down the road and it gets stuck in second I have put the car in nutral then back into drive and it seems to go every time.Dose anyone think this will work it's self out or should I bite the bullet and start taking things apart?I am a little hesatent to remove the valve body and I can't take it back to the guy who rebuilt it.

You don't really have to remove it, just loosen the bolts that hold it and re tighten them.
Nice and gentle like.
If you dont have a torque wrench, just lightly snug them down (like a 1/4 turn after you feel resistance of the bolts against the aluminum.)

I disconected the kick down completely and still it works when it wants.

Reconnect throttle pressure linkage el'pronto, or you will burn up front clutch pack in no time. Have you properly readjusted KD or throttle pressure linkage since installing transmission?

Make sure the shift cables are properly adjusted and moving through their full range of travel.

As others have said a little teeny bit of crud can cause sticking of valves, also if valve body bolts are not torqued in proper sequence to correct specification, internal leaks, and deformed valve body will cause weird shifting.

I ended up loosening the valve body and retightening it.I did notice that there was a fair amount of black stuff in the bottom of the pan after i drained it which leads me to believe that the rebuilder didn't do the best job cleaning the valve body out.The trans only has about five or so miles on it.I used the same fluid that came out but strained it through a cotton wash cloth.Then drove it around the block and the shifting felt better but it still got stuck once. The kick down is working and the shifter is going into all gears properly so I don't think it's that.

It's possible the rebuilder didn't take the time to disassemble the valve body and clean all the valves. That should be done anytime a trans. is rebuilt but I've seen guys just spray the outside of the VB down with brake/carb cleaner and slap it back in then they have problems like this. I'd drop it and carefully disassemble it and give it a good cleaning and make sure no valves are hanging up. Take it apart real slow and careful cause stuff can fall out and get otu of place. If you do this and need blown up pics of the valve body and how all the valves go in I can post them.

Trying to filter used ATF isn't a good idea. Tiny cotton strands can come loose and get in it and plug the filter. If you ever have to re-use ATF (and I highly recomend not do that) strain it through a paint strainer.

-
Back