904 pan leak...need back up !! lol

-
Reaction score
so my 904 was leaking from pan. no biggy right? got a new oem rubber gasket...didnt over tighten, cleaned up tranny and pan with razor blade,,brake clean ect....tightened it all up and bam,,,still leaked... so i said wth ill try a cork gasket....bam same dam thing it leaked! so i took pan off on a flat surface, i then used a socket and adapter and tapped around each pan hole to ensure they were flat....so then i put another new rubber gasket on , tightened all up and bam leaked a freakin gin! so at this point im over and decided to get intouch with my redneck side...i used high temp rtv red.. 1/4 bead, finger tight, let set for 4 hrs. then 1/2 turn and let sit for 2 days.....added fluid and kiss my *** it leaked again so im about to pull tranny and throw it in the woods ...so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions id appreciate them lol....thanks!

Leaking on the left side?

Valve body shaft selector seal

I will check that as well.....can i get that part at a napa or oreily? and is it simple to change? thanks fellas

I went through the same frustration. I was 100% sure it was the pan gasket. I was 100% wrong. For me, the final mystery leak was the o-ring on the bottom of the dip stick tube. But I also fixed leaks on the shifter cable (65 cable shifted trans), the speedo cable, and the output shaft.

Thanks ill def look into it...new to this site today its nice to see everyone helpin out..means alot fellas

Also, if you're not using the metal-core, silicone-covered gasket, I highly recommend it. It makes it impossible to overtorque the bolts and blow out the gasket.

Next time, I'd also suggest Mother Mopar's own ATF-specific sealant as used on late-model FWD cars like my Neon if you're going to redneck it. There's rednecking, and then there's proper rednecking, you know.

X2 on the metal core gasket. Best gasket made by far.

There's generally no need for RTV but if you do use it make sure you use RTV that's ATF compatible. Not all is.

The others already mentioned some other possibilities, the o-ring on the fill tube and the shift shaft seal. Could also be the upper seal in the shift shaft that seals the kickdown linkage stem. Another possibility is the front cooler line leaking and running down onto the pan. Gotta clean the trans. up real good and sit under it with a light and watch all those things closely for something leaking.

where can i buy this metal core gasket? i have a 904 tranny...all i can find is cork or plain rubber

where can i buy this metal core gasket? i have a 904 tranny...all i can find is cork or plain rubber

at your friendly(sometimes expensive) mopar dealer ... at least that where I found mine, hopefully there is somewhere else that might be cheaper if you get the part number.

The local Dodge Ram dealer. Summit or JEGS. Mancini's, etc... Tell them you need one for a late 90's A500 (also known as a 42RE) trans. The A500 is the OD version of the 904 and that's what the metal core gasket came on. The pan is the same size and shape on them.

-
Back