904 pan leak

-

Small_Block

Reaction score
i had a small leak for a month or 2 and never did anything about it because of the small size of the leak. The past week it has been dumping tranny fluid like crazy, last night i dropped the pan and replaced the gasket and put in 5 fresh quarts of oil and it seemed to stop the leak. As i checked it this morning i noticed a puddle about the same size as before. What can i do to stop it?

i had a small leak for a month or 2 and never did anything about it because of the small size of the leak. The past week it has been dumping tranny fluid like crazy, last night i dropped the pan and replaced the gasket and put in 5 fresh quarts of oil and it seemed to stop the leak. As i checked it this morning i noticed a puddle about the same size as before. What can i do to stop it?
Go to your local dealer and get the pan gasket that is made out of hard plastic. That was the only way I could get mine to stop leaking. Careful not to over-torque. Should fix it if it is the pan gasket and not something else.

Make sure it is not coming out around the speedo gear assembly area. They are notorious for leaking & have there own little seals that go bad or get left off.

Oldschoolcuda

also the seal around the shifter lever can be the source of the leak also

pan gasket

904 is 4295875ac

Put your wife under there . Have her wipe it dry and watch it for the night. By the morning she should be able to tell you where it is coming from. I found many leaks using this method over the years.

Don't give her a creeper with a pillow. She will get to comfy and fall asleep. It would be ashamed to waste her time. When she could be doing other chores around the house

It could any of the above mentioned area's leaking or it could also be the dipstick o-ring leaking and running down on the pan making it look like it's the pan leaking. It's possible it's the pan leaking but a pan leaking as bad as you say is really rare. You need to verify where it's coming out for sure. If it's leaking as bad as you say clean it up and lay under it and watch it with a good light, probably won't take long to see where it's coming from. If it does prove it's the pan leaking make sure and check it for flatness when you take it off. A lot of the time guys crank the bolts down too tight trying to stop it from leaking and they distort the pan sealing surface. If it is distorted you need to lay it on a flat steel bench or good smooth flat floor and using a ball peen hammer tap the bolt holes out until the surface is flat and straight again. The Mopar gasket mentioned above is the best gasket to use.

Put your wife under there . Have her wipe it dry and watch it for the night. By the morning she should be able to tell you where it is coming from. I found many leaks using this method over the years.

Don't give her a creeper with a pillow. She will get to comfy and fall asleep. It would be ashamed to waste her time. When she could be doing other chores around the house

Bwahaaaaaa, Lol.... Now that is some Hilarious stuff right there!! :D

also the seal around the shifter lever can be the source of the leak also

pan gasket

904 is 4295875ac

This is a very nice gasket. Just put one on the 904 I just rebuilt. Trans leaks absolutely nothing. Very nice Piece.
I called the dealer to make sure they had it. They Said $19.74 on the phone. I get over there and the gal tells me $34.99, I am like um uhh I just called and was told it was $19.74, Oh she says let me adjust it....... WTH??

-
Back