904 Parking Brake Parts at Transmission End?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
History:

1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S purchased not running. We found the transplanted 318 had a hole burned through the top of one piston. Stock rebuild was done on the 318, re-using the factory AFB and a 1966 four-barrel 273 intake manifold that was installed on the 318.

After having the vehicle running for some time, we began to here a clicking sound when using reverse (not all the time, but about half the time). This was diagnosed to have been a problem somewhere with the shifter adjustment, parking brake cable, or parking brake cable adjustment at the transmission. The clicking could be eliminated by slightly pulling back on the shifter while in reverse or maybe going back and forth with the shifter between park and reverse. Problem was not repaired before the restoration was initiated about four years ago.

While the body was being restored, a local transmission shop (this is Mexico remember) rebuilt the transmission (some clutches were worn out). The "reverse clicking" was not mentioned or addressed. I personally removed and re-installed the 904 at home. Before re-installation, I noticed the the parking brake cable had a spot that had burned through where it had contacted the TTI 2 1/2 inch exhaust sometime during the previous ten years of ownership. I had a better cable (used) that I had given to the shop before the rebuild, but for some reason they failed to change it out. So I studied up on how to use a small screwdriver and I swapped out the damaged cable for the spare used one I had on hand.

I pushed the vehicle in & out of the garage without starting the engine (using neutral, of course) a few different occasions while finishing up some other interior work on the car without problems. Then one day I slipped the gear shift from park to neutral and tried to push the car out but it would not budge. At first I thought the parking brake was still on, but it was released. I fiddled around trying to rock the vehicle back and forth and moving the shifter through all the gear positions until finally something released and the vehicle could be pushed again in neutral. This "stuck" problem happened a few more times before the vehicle was driven on the highway. The funny thing is, the parking brake cable appears to be adjusted properly, because generally it works fine and the clicking sound it experienced before the restoration has never returned. It just seems to have a mind of its own now.

What I am asking for on the forum here is to see first-hand (well, photos anyway) of the parking brake components inside the transmission. I am thinking maybe there is a spring broken or a bent part that is causing the inconsistent performance. In the meantime, I am attempting to train myself to use neutral and the parking brake handle in lieu of the park position on the gearshift. Thank you for listening.

Installed Engine Oct 2021.png

-
Back