904 Problem- no go in D or 2 only Low

-

oneway71

Reaction score
Hello
I thought about selling the Dart and someone came over today to look at it. Started it put it in Drive and pulled it forward. I got out to let them drive it and it would not go anymore. It only had reverse.

So they left and I fired it up a little later and it now has low and reverse.

Am I looking at clutches? or Could it be something else? The kickdown isnt hooked up right now; Could that have anything to do with it? I would think that in Drive it would still move since it goes in Low. Could it be some kind of adjustment?

Looking for your opinions. Thanks

Ok took it for another ride. I can start out in 1 and manually shift into 2 with no problems. I cant start in 2 or D though. NO background on car. I know it was raced before. (NOS, different converter, and fire extinguishers in the car)

Could this be a manual valve body? How do I tell?

Now its back to not going again......in any gear except reverse.
Any help is appreciated.

A manual valve body will start out in whatever gear you select, do i tend to think it's not a manual valve body. If the kickdown linkage has not been hooked up for a while, I would suspect transmission damage due to this. Torqueflites MUST have throttle pressure linkage hooked up. It's the only thing that adjusts transmission line pressure as the throttle is opened. Without it, the transmission is shifting way to early and under way too much load which will result in burned up forward gears. High gear is the first to go followed by second. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Next time I buy a car I will make sure it runs first and drive it! This one wasnt able to be driven when I bought it. Oh well thats the way it goes sometimes. :neutral:

I will get the missing parts for the kickdown and hook it up to see it the trans is still salvageable.

-
Back