904 question HELP!!!!

-

bamacuda

Reaction score
First, let me say I know very little about transmission internals. That being said, I have a 65 model 904 that was rebuilt by a local shop about 2 years ago with a mild shift kit. It has sat on a rolling pallet in my garage ever since. I am getting close to installing it behind a commando 273. I stood it up to clean it and paint it and noticed a part missing. It was a small cover on the bottom of the tail-shaft part. I happen to have a parts tranny and took the one off of it. I need to know how to put it on ( I believe it is the kick down). There is a plunger with a spring inside. I can see that it has a "t" on the end of the plunger and the spring looks like it should hook onto the part sticking out of the tranny. I need some advice on how to reinstall this correctly.

Next, i have a stock 904 convertor and wanted to know what i need to do to it to have it ready (service? flushed? ???)

On the tranny, i have the one that I took out of the car so i know where everything goes as far as cooler lines, speedo cable, linkages, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!:cheers:

This what you're asking about is the park lock, not the kickdown -- that's handled by the throttle pressure lever at the left (driver's side) front corner of the trans. Info on how to assemble and install the park lock components and install the park cable is in the factory service manual, which you should definitely have.

What is the matter with the torque converter that makes you think it might need service?

Pic please.

There are two different things you could be talking about but it sounds like you have a cable shift trans with the seperate park mechanism on the bottom of the tailshaft housing. I haven't seen one of them for decades.

I researched it and it is the park lock. I will look at the service manual, duh, I should have thought of that first. My friend, who knows everything Mopar, didn't know what it was, but then again, her ain't into 904 nothing and early A-body nothing either. thanks guys!

Meeah. Unless you have reason to doubt the converter's health, just drain it (there's a drain plug), install it, and run it.

-
Back