904 question

-

country_ck

Reaction score
I put the 318 in my 67 barracuda, so it could atleast move itself, but now it won't go into gear. I jacked the rearend and still nothing. The tranny worked with the other engine and I didn't change anything. Question #1 I put new trans cooling lines on, could I have put them on the wrong port? If so could that have any effect? Question # 2 What else did I do wrong? Thanks Chris

I did some more research. 1973 318 & torque converter and a 1967 904. So do I have the wrong number of splines on the converter?

Thanks. From what I read I think I have the wrong torque converter, I'm just looking for some verification, before I drop the tranny.

Cooler lines would be immaterial. Input shafts, however, would be an issue.

904s from their inception through 1967 used an 18 spline input shaft.
68 and later used 27 spline. 78 and later lockups and A550 ovedrives have 26 splines.

So swapping torque converters or transmissions is indeed in order. I guess I have some more work to do before it'll move itself. Thanks Chris

Something isn't adding up. So I have the torque conveter that I thought/know I took out of the car originally sitting in the garage. I counted the splines and came up with 27. So either the transmission in the car was swapped before I got it AND I put the wrong torque converter, 18 spline, on (not likely, it never left the motor). Or I put the right torque converter, 27 spline, on and the transmission is original/older. I am 99.99% sure the 27 spline I have in the garage came off the cracked 318 I pulled from the car, but the kicker is that I could get it running enough before that it would move itself. Does anyone understand this logic, because I sure don't and I need some ideas.

I took the engine out. 18 spline shaft and a 27 spline torque converter. So I don't know what i was smoking, this car could have never moved before all I have is two 27 spline torque converters. Is it easiest to swap transmissions? I did notice that since the 73 valiant was a column shift the linkages are different are they hard to change?

-
Back