904 rear clutch assembly question

-

Rodzilla

Reaction score
I'm just getting my 904 back together and one of the assemblies I forgot to take pics of while disassembling is the rear clutch. To start I got the new seals on the piston (in the correct direction) then on top of that is the belleview spring and the the wave snap ring. Well so far this leaves a .100" gap between spring and snap ring. Is that correct? On a 727 they put a spacer ring in to close this gap and why would my 904 have this gap? The pic attached shows the piston in and belleview spring on top, then you can see it's about .100" above that to the snap ring groove. Is that correct? Run with a spacer or no? When I set up the clutch assembly on top I get a good clearance of .038". But none of that is affected by what's going on below the wave snap ring under the clutch pack.
Maybe there is always enough pressure at the backside of the piston that the slack comes out even when not engaged?
Thoughts anyone? Sorry about big pic but I wanted detail to show up.

that looks correct man,it shoulda been a hemroid to get that wave spring outta there! it should be a tick real wavey snap ring if i remember rite. make sure its not the snap ring for the front clutch.

I guess I'll run it as is then. I ran some air to both front and rear clutch packs via the pump, out of the trans, everything stacked up on an old converter. The clutches actuated like they should, could hear lots of air blowing by somewhere. Maybe because not installed in housing yet? I had 30psi on it when testing. Piston seals are definitely installed correctly. I have another week or two before this baby gets buttoned up, so lots of time for any other bits of advice or comments. Thanks.

yeah just make dam sure all seal rings are on & no lip seals were cut when installen them. it should take much to air check the packs.btw thats the best way to check out the trans before it goes together!

It's just a quick "hit" with the air to check the pistons. If you hold the air to it you will hear air.

Something doesn't sound right though. I believe the wave ring should fit "tight" between the the spring & groove. Do you have the spring backwards maybe?

I'd have to pull a 904 apart as it's been awhile.

that looks correct man,it shoulda been a hemroid to get that wave spring outta there! it should be a tick real wavey snap ring if i remember rite. make sure its not the snap ring for the front clutch.

This is correct.
piston, belville spring, wavy snap ring, pressure plate with the ridge on the back, clutch stack, pressure plate, flat snap ring, measure clearance.

This is correct.
piston, belville spring, wavy snap ring, pressure plate with the ridge on the back, clutch stack, pressure plate, flat snap ring, measure clearance.

Its exactly as you mention here. Belleview spring in correct, the center opening angles inward towards piston. Thanks for the added comments.

-
Back