904 rebuild kit

-

DusTed74

Reaction score
I'm going to be rebuilding my 904 very soon. I've read here that many people have recommended this kit as a good starting point.
http://www.northernautoparts.com/part/tk-12008c

Is this still the kit of choice or is there something better now? I'm also planning on using the TransGo TF-2 shift kit.

Thanks in advance....................Ted

They both seem like good kits Ted. BTW. Good decision to fit a TF-2 while you are in there.
The thing I watch out for with a 904 overhaul is that I don't order any thrust washers until I've torn the trans apart. The reason being is unless you know 100% if you have aluminium or steel planetaries, or 3 or 4 pinion planetaries you will order the wrong thrust washers. Don't ask me how I know. LOL
The locating tangs on the thrust washers are different depending on which planetaries you have.
Personally I order all my 904 / 727 stuff from A&A. They have a fast shipping rate here to Germany & Rick & Tom are great guys.
Grab all the parts & it's an easy job to keep you out of trouble on a rainy weekend.
Cheers. Gaz

I'd bet the OP kit is the same as the northern auto kit.

You can also check WIT and Makco/Bulkpart for any small parts you may need.

They both seem like good kits Ted. BTW. Good decision to fit a TF-2 while you are in there.
The thing I watch out for with a 904 overhaul is that I don't order any thrust washers until I've torn the trans apart. The reason being is unless you know 100% if you have aluminium or steel planetaries, or 3 or 4 pinion planetaries you will order the wrong thrust washers. Don't ask me how I know. LOL
The locating tangs on the thrust washers are different depending on which planetaries you have.
Personally I order all my 904 / 727 stuff from A&A. They have a fast shipping rate here to Germany & Rick & Tom are great guys.
Grab all the parts & it's an easy job to keep you out of trouble on a rainy weekend.
Cheers. Gaz

Good call. I picked up a 904 the other night and tore it apart yesterday afternoon. It has the steel planetaries in it so now I can order some parts.
This is going behind a mild 408 that see's 99% street duty. Do you guys see the need for any of the billet parts like servos' and accumulators?

Ted

I use the TCS stuff from up here in Langley BC , their race kit includes the better frictions and steels , I also personally think it's better to go to their billet steel drum kit as it has a relocated snap ring groove to accommodate an extra friction . My trans has been behind my 410 for 4 years now and has never shown any signs of problems , in my case I was able to achieve the optimum clearance by mixing in 2 of the thinner rear drum frictions in place of 1 of the thicker front drum frictions saving me the hassle of ordering a bunch of different snap rings to find the 1 that gives you the correct clearance and increasing the strength of the front clutch pack . TCS's kit came with enough frictions and steels to allow me to do this plus I used a couple of thick fronts in the back to get the best clearance in that drum as well -Great guys to deal with , took the time to talk me through all the questions that came up mid rebuild and your dollar is worth more than ours so the end price should be very competitive .

Ted I strongly advise the use of a billet aluminium low/reverse piston & spring retainer with the TF-2. I've seen the spring pop the factory pressed steel retainer a few times & then your reverse gear goes south.Front servo piston & accumulator can stay stock. Get 5 frictions in the high/reverse clutch keeping the clearance at the lower end of the tolerance & you have a trans that can swallow anything your stroker can throw at it.

What kick down lever ratio would you guys recommend for this build?

Ted

-
Back