904 rebuild/swap advice

-

TinyValiant74

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm about to pull out my 904 for a reseal/power flush/rebuild. I checked at a couple local shops and they all said it would be around $1000 for all of the afformentioned stuff. and keep in mind that $1000 does not include the removal/re-instalation I would be doing that. If I didn't do any of that it would be closer to $1400 give or take $100 either way.

I've looked at some of the other posts about getting a 904 rebuilt, and i think i'm coming out on the high side of things.

So here's my question, would it be cheaper to just buy a running/rebuilt 904 and if so, where could I find a vendor?

thanks in advance.
Tiny

Maybe track down a local member with the right tools to rebuild it. YOU CAN DO IT. I rebuilt mine with a shift kit for under $200...

ya like i know how to rebuild them i took a class at school as long as you put the parts in order they came out its super easy its jsut the spring tools your need for the large piston and tools for the snap rings

well okay,

assuming that I try and rebuild it, do you guys know of any good vendors for 904 gaskets and such? or should I visit the scrap yard across the street from my house? (not that I'd try and reuse gaskets of a junker)

$1000.00 thats a wee bit on the high side,i had my 904 done 2 years ago,i supplied the manual valvebody,deep pan.he supplied and installed all high performance bands, clutches,disassembling,cleaning,reassemble he charged me $500.00 for his work..i'd look around for a better price if i were you..

you could use a baisc rebuild kit from tci or a stock rebuild kit or i think you can order them from a parts store

just so we're all on the same page, we're talking about the A-904G. The three speed that comes on a 225 right?

'cause to hear ya'll tell it and to look at summit racing's stuff this thing can actually put down some power.

and even though it's a dumb question, the A-904G is or isn't the same thing as a Torqueflite A-904.

You'll have to forgive the dumb questions, I've never done a ground up rebuild before and i'm still learning all the mopar lingo.

Internally it's the same transmission as any other non-lockup 904 (I'm assuming yours is a non-lockup model). It's a very simple trans. to rebuild but does require a few tools the average persone may not have. That price quoted to you is WAAAAAY high. Sounds like a price the crooks at RAAMCO would quote. You can send yours to either Andrews Racing or Cope Racing and have it rebuilt and pay all the shipping charges both ways and still pay less than that and it will be rebuilt by professionals. You may be able to save a few bucks too if you ask around town and try to find a Mopar guy that does them. I can usually do one for about $400-500 depending on how many hard parts I have to change. But were 1,000 miles apart. Bummer.

maybe its demographics, but around here a 904 or 727 built for less than $750 is just another core. my buddy who runs a tranny shop charges about $850 +, depending on what is used inside, bad case, bad valve body, etc. cores cost about $125 for a guaranteed core.

You said it, it's all about demographics. I called a dozen different shops a few hours ago here in New Mexico, not just in Santa Fe this time but some in ABQ. One guy laughed and hung up on me. Another just said "we don't ever work on mopars" and then hung up. It pisses me off so much when people turn down work over brand loyalty.

I may be green to restorations but i'm no slouch when it comes to mechanics. I think with a good shop manual and some parts from summit i should be able to do it myself.

But how do I get in contact with Andrews racing or Cope racing to get some quotes?

Red your right about demographics playing a part in pricing. Also whether or not it's actually a shop that does this type of work everyday or just a joe blow who does it on weekends like me for a few extra bucks. I don't charge as much because I don't have the overhead. I also know where I can get TF cores for $50 a pop. Their are several variables all in all. Still I think the quotes he got was high but that's just my opinion based on others I've seen. For instance I looked in Cope Racing's newest catalog and their standard stock street rebuilt trans. goes for $595.

Tiny when I was 17 I rebuilt my first 727 Torqueflite. I had never been into a trans before. Just got a big bench, A book, And a parts cleaner, and a bunch of old clothes to clean them with. Talk about a crude setup. But it worked for a long time. Good luck with your project and if you need any help shoot me a pm. I'm sure there's other fellows here that would be glad to help too.

Got my a-904-g replaced with a re-built one at a local tranny shop here in Calgary Alberta for $900 installed. Guy put in his rebuilt, and took my old one to re-build and put back on the shelf!

I am going v-8 in the next little while if you are not in a hurry, I would give it to you for a really good price, even with shipping i'm sure you would come out way ahead. I bet it has less than 2000 miles on it since it was put in!

Robb

No problem Tiny. If you have the time to do it you'll thank yourself in the end. You'll learn something about your car and have the satisfaction of saying you rebuilt it.:headbang:

-
Back