904 shift problem

-
K

krabysniper

OK, so I have had some time to put some miles on my Dart with my funky 904 I built. I did the gear swap so that my low gear is 2.74:1 and second gear is 1.45:1 with drive still being 1:1. ATI Trans Scat shift kitted. Used the govenor out of the tranny I got the gears from, a late 70's 904 (was supposedly supposed to be able to get them from a mid 80's A999 but just wasnt where I found mine.)
So anyway, when driving on the street if you run it at part throttle ie just easy on it, it shifts very very harshly in the 1-2 shift, kinda a thunk. Same with 2-3, harsh and thunks almost sounds like a u-joint clucking when it shifts. BUT if I get on the throttle, like half throttle or more, each shift is FIRM AND SOLID, no harsh clunks or anything, just shifts the way I expect them to be. Fluid level is as it should be. I always let her warm up a good few minutes before even thinking of putting it in gear. Oh also when putting it in reverse it is rather harsh also. Any body got any ideas on what may be going on or suggestions about where to start looking?
When I originaly got it together I had troubles with it and had to take the damn valve body in and out about 4 times just to make certain that we hadn't missed something that would explain a late shift problem I had. Finaly narrowed it to the govenor. In trying to find that problem at some point in one of the times of having the valve body out we took the restrictor plug with the small hole in it, that came in the ATI kit, out of the hole that the kit had said to put it in. We had thought that it might be the cause of the late shift. That hasn't been put back in yet, is it possible that this may be the reason for the light throtle harsh shifts?
I know it's hard to make an assesment of a problem over a bbs, but any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks.
Oh and one more thing, when I run it up to drive it shifts into drive at about 33-35 (unsure as the speedo aint quite right) but if I slow down about 5 mph it drops back down into second gear. I can't get it to run along on the secondary streets in drive, and the local fuzz dont like you ripping along in a 25 at 35 mph, and if I run it in second it's just to much rpm at 25 to 30 for daily driving, hard on gas and the exhaust tends to be a little noisy.

It sounds like the line pressure is too high. Some shift kits raise the line pressure too high. The reason you notice the harsh clunk at part throttle is you have slack in the gear train. At full (or near full) throttle there is no slack in the gear train so you don't hear any clunk when it shifts. Right now the only thing I know to tell you that will help anything is you can back your throttle pressure linkage off some and that will allow it to kick into 3rd gear faster. It may also ease the part throttle shift some. It won't help reverse engagement though. My suggestion is take out the ATI kit and install a Trans-go kit. Trans-go is the leader in Torqueflite transmission shift improver kits. They are all I will use. They are light yrs. ahead of the others. BTW If that sounded like an ad I'd just like to say I don't make a dime off of recomending them. I just do it because I believe in them.

Oh yeah. The restrictor is only to prevent overlap in the 2nd to 3rd shift. It won't cause this problem.

"Right now the only thing I know to tell you that will help anything is you can back your throttle pressure linkage off some and that will allow it to kick into 3rd gear faster."
OK, and are you refering to the kick down linkage?? And how do I back it down, I guess I am not quite understanding how that will help. As it is if I stomp the pedal it dosn't seem to wanna kick down like it should, so if this will solve the late 3rd shift some and make my kick down work as it should so I dont have to manually pull it down that would be great.
Also what do you mean by "overlap" on the 2-3 shift. I am not a mechanical noob by any means (38 and have done more than space allows to even talk about here) but I have always played with four speed stuff and never got into auto's. This is my first and it is proving to me why I like manual trans better. Thanks.

Yes the throttle pressure linkage is what everybody calls the kickdown linkage. You back it off by shortening the linkage at the carb. That normally makes them go into gear quicker but since you now mentioned that it don't kick down like it should it sounds like it may not be adjusted tight enough and if you back it off any more that problem will get worse. Another possibility comes to mind and that is an adjustment that is easy to do but would require dropping the pan to get at. On the drivers side of the valve body where the throttle valve (kickdown valve) goes in there is a stop that sets the idle (best term I can think to call it) If it is set too far in it will basically give the same effect as holding your trans in passing gear which will cause the harsh part throttle shift and delayed shift. Overlap is when a trans is shifting and is still in the first gear momentarily and goes into the next gear. Many shifts kit uses a restrictor to slow the engagement of 3rd gear so 2nd has time to drop completely out before 3rd comes in so overlap don't happen. I had one case that had overlap from 1st to 2nd so severe that when the wheels were jacked up and it shifted from 1st to 2nd the wheels nearly stopped then took off again.
Shoot me a PM if you like and I'll give you my phone# and you can call me. We can cover alot more ground alot quicker that way.

Thanks fishy. As to the adjustment on the valve body, I am quite certain that I have that set perfectly, we had the valve body out at least 4 times just to quadroople check EVERYTHING because I questioned myself as to whether I had got that right, so I do not believe that is the problem. But now after going out and driving it, I am wondering if that restrictor orifice IS the problem because it isn't in there where it is supposed to be. After driving it and really paying close attention to how it is shifting I almost think that maybe what I am expierencing is shift overlap. I intend to tear into it this weekend to finish all my brake work and I am going to pull the valve body (AGAIN) and put that thing back in place and see how that goes. I will update and let ya know if that solves the issue. Thanks again for your input on the problem.

:scratch: I have had 4 , 904s in my dart I just put a cable linkage on how do I adjust it? They always gets to where it won"t shift in to second gear. And then they go out.Thank you very much , :blackeye: Kenny

-
Back