904 swap 65 valiant

-

kielbasavw

Reaction score
Soon i am going to want to pull the 904 out of my 65 valiant. The thing leaks like a siv at every possible crevice, also has trouble getting out of gear when switched to nuetral. I'd like to get a 2nd trans to either swap or rebuild first then swap. My question is is there any trans i would prefer over another, as far as years go? I know later ones have wider range of gear. I have a super mild 225 with a 2.93 rear end. Will anything else work better for a stock driver?

Unless yoru willing to switch the pushbotton shifter to a lever shift you don't have any option but to stay with a 65 or earlier 904. As far as their being a better trans., the 904 is a great trans. Yours is just probably worn out cause it's nearly 50 yrs. old. Not much else out there better unless you get into a O.D. trans. which will take a lot of work to install and cost quite a bit.

Last year of the push button was '64, '65 was regular column or floor shifter.

Any 904 with the Slant bell will bolt up but you might run into an issue with the ball and trunnion set up if you get a later unit.

'65s are kind of a mongrel with the one-year-only ball and trunnion thing. PITA. Internally though it's the same as any other 904 up to the lock up style.

Last year of the push button was '64, '65 was regular column or floor shifter.

Any 904 with the Slant bell will bolt up but you might run into an issue with the ball and trunnion set up if you get a later unit.

'65s are kind of a mongrel with the one-year-only ball and trunnion thing. PITA. Internally though it's the same as any other 904 up to the lock up style.

Your right. My mistake thinking a 65 was still push button.

I haven't even worked on a car with the ball and trunion but if he were to put in a newer trans. can't he just replace the driveshaft with a std. U-joint type?

Your right. My mistake thinking a 65 was still push button.

I haven't even worked on a car with the ball and trunion but if he were to put in a newer trans. can't he just replace the driveshaft with a std. U-joint type?

Sure, but that's another part to find.

Best bet would probably be a '66 MY set up if you could find the trans and 'shaft together.

Ye olde B & T:
ball.jpg

Sure, but that's another part to find.

Best bet would probably be a '66 MY set up if you could find the trans and 'shaft together.

Ye olde B & T:
ball.jpg

So you think finding and changing to this setup would be easier than finding a driveshaft and converting it to a conventional design??

So you think finding and changing to this setup would be easier than finding a driveshaft and converting it to a conventional design??

Assuming all is stock under his car, he's already got the B & T, it's a '65 only deal. Kinda tough to convert the B & T style to u joint. No way I would suggest changing to to that style. I'm just saying for convenience, rather than finding an entirely different set up, just rebuild the current 904 and stay with the B & T. I just posted the pic for reference.

Again, the one issue he's going to run into when installing a later trans is finding the correct length u joint type driveshaft. Prolly wouldn't be too hard. In fact, I'm willing to bet that someone somewhere is yanking an entire Slant driveline out of an early A right now and would probably be happy to give this guy the parts before they threw them in the dumpster...

Assuming all is stock under his car, he's already got the B & T, it's a '65 only deal. Kinda tough to convert the B & T style to u joint. No way I would suggest changing to to that style. I'm just saying for convenience, rather than finding an entirely different set up, just rebuild the current 904 and stay with the B & T. I just posted the pic for reference.

Ok. I wasn't meaning for him to convert the B&T to a U-joint either. He mentioned finding a newer trans. and I was meaning if he did that it'd be easy to change to a std. U-joint setup if he went that route.

Again, the one issue he's going to run into when installing a later trans is finding the correct length u joint type driveshaft. Prolly wouldn't be too hard. In fact, I'm willing to bet that someone somewhere is yanking an entire Slant driveline out of an early A right now and would probably be happy to give this guy the parts before they threw them in the dumpster...

Yep, guys yank good /6 parts out a lot to install a V8 so I bet finding a good one wouldn't be hard. If he couldn't find a good used one there's always the option of having one shortened at a driveline shop. Last time I checked here it is only about $150 to shorten and re-balance.

if you are swapping trans-- your problem is the small crank register-- it needs a special converter ($$) to work a newer style tranny with the 67 & before cranks..

so to answer your question a 66./67 tranny will let you use the slip yoke & not cost a fortune for a stock stall converter.

or seal up the one you have-- if yours is the cable operated column style good luck in replacing those cables if worn, Lawrence

-
Back