904 to 727 shift linkage

-

MTmopars

Reaction score
My barracuda come as a roller. I'm not sure what trans was in it, but the yoke was much smaller diameter than the BB 727 I put in. My question, will the stock linkage work for the new trans if I can track it down from the original owner?

when i changed the engine / trans in my Valiant from S6/904 to SB/727 i was able to use the existing lever with minor modification. As far as i can remember i had to shorten the part that connects the linear moving rods (sorry, don´t know the word in english...) to fit it between the trans and the body of the car. A little welding was all, works pretty good.

Michael

The frame mount bracket and column rod from the corresponding year and model car is the same for either trans 904/727 but the cross shaft, trans bracket and trans rod are very different from 904/727 It is not only the width on the shaft that is different it is also the placement and length of the one lever on the shaft. To make it function correctly you should get the correct parts or you could as mentioned cut, bend and weld the choice is yours. I just sold 5 complete 727 automatic A-Body column shift set-ups and only have one more available currently so if your interested PM me
BTW i also have quite a few 904 set ups for the 67-70,the 71-73 and 74-76 which are also different for those years

My barracuda come as a roller. I'm not sure what trans was in it, but the yoke was much smaller diameter than the BB 727 I put in. My question, will the stock linkage work for the new trans if I can track it down from the original owner?

Column shift automatic is different but the console linkage shifter, torque shaft, mount brackets as well as the upper and lower rod are all the same for specific years 67-74 with a 904 or 727 but the trans lever is different.

Thank you, but mine is a console shift.

..i have cut about an inch out of a 904 "cross shaft" to compensate for the wider 727 and mounted the trans. bracket below the tab on the trans. so it sits level.

I have a 1972 340 Plymouth Duster with a 727 transmission, the previous owner Mickey Moused the shift linkage (Welded or repaired one of the levers on the shaft). I made all the necessary adjustments to the shift linkage step by step according to my 72 Plymouth shop manual, however, the shift indicator on the column does not line up for 2 & 1, the Park, R, N & D are pretty close but not centered to the letters, is this because of the cross shaft lever angles or length? Would you have the correct linkage for my 72 Duster w/727 trans? Your response to these questions will be greatly appreciated, Thanks So Much!
Regards,
Vinny P.
[email protected]

Ok, joining in here.

I have a 74 Dart slant 6 904 column shift and changing to a 76 B-body 400 727 column shift. Where can I find a list of the parts I need?

And a diagram or picture would be great.

I have a 1972 340 Plymouth Duster with a 727 transmission, the previous owner Mickey Moused the shift linkage (Welded or repaired one of the levers on the shaft). I made all the necessary adjustments to the shift linkage step by step according to my 72 Plymouth shop manual, however, the shift indicator on the column does not line up for 2 & 1, the Park, R, N & D are pretty close but not centered to the letters, is this because of the cross shaft lever angles or length? Would you have the correct linkage for my 72 Duster w/727 trans? Your response to these questions will be greatly appreciated, Thanks So Much!
Regards,
Vinny P.
[email protected]

Ok, joining in here.

I have a 74 Dart slant 6 904 column shift and changing to a 76 B-body 400 727 column shift. Where can I find a list of the parts I need?

And a diagram or picture would be great.

Guys I see one of you is brand new to the board and the other fairly new so I'd like to inform you that by asking your own questions your thread jacking. This thread belongs to MTMopars and even though your problems may be similar you need to start your own thread with YOUR SPECIFIC QUESTIONS. The reason is, it gets confusing when someone answers and your not sure who he's answering to. It's very easy to start your own thread. Just look at the top of the page here and you'll see a box titled "NEW THREAD". Type in your title and question. Easy peasy. Good luck with the problems you need solved

The frame mount bracket and column rod from the corresponding year and model car is the same for either trans 904/727 but the cross shaft, trans bracket and trans rod are very different from 904/727 It is not only the width on the shaft that is different it is also the placement and length of the one lever on the shaft. To make it function correctly you should get the correct parts or you could as mentioned cut, bend and weld the choice is yours. I just sold 5 complete 727 automatic A-Body column shift set-ups and only have one more available currently so if your interested PM me
BTW i also have quite a few 904 set ups for the 67-70,the 71-73 and 74-76 which are also different for those years

I have a 1971 340 duster automatic column shift. I need the frame bracket and rear shift linkage from Z bar to transmission . Can you help me. Thanks Hemidale

I have a 1971 340 duster automatic column shift. I need the frame bracket and rear shift linkage from Z bar to transmission . Can you help me. Thanks Hemidale

Hemidale welcome to the board and please note that we have a forum just for parts wanted. Look at the main page and you'll see it right below parts for sale. That's where you should post that you need parts, not here in the mechanical forum. Your chances of finding what you need here are slim. In the parts wanted forum the chances are much greater. And start your own thread. Don't post your want ad in someone else's thread like you did here. By starting your own thread the title you give it (such as "needed Z bar and frame bracket) will be on the main page, unlike if you post it within another thread where only people that read that thread can see it. Good luck with your search

-
Back