904 to 727 swap

-

speedyb-cc

speedyb
Reaction score
Is there a stock driveline for this swap or do I need to cut my existing driveline down. Going in a 72 Dart. Also would the 904 handle 400hp 360?
Thanks and God Bless

You might get lucky and be able to find the proper length driveshaft, depending on what rear end you're running. And yes, the 904 will handle a 400 HP 360 with a good quality rebuild done on your 904. Also, the 904 uses a lot less power to actually drive it than a 727, so you eventually put more of your engine's horsepower to the rear wheels.

IMO just rebuild the 904 with QUALITY parts and it can be made to easily live behind a 400 HP SB...plus its LIGHTER than a 727 and lighter=QUICKER.

Although I'm from Canada, I went to was intended to go to different "Trans Shops" about town with my length measurement. 904 swap to 727 with a installed 8.75. The very first shop had a few shafts hanging around not requiring cuts. I Just needed to get new jounts. Charged me only for the jounts/labour. Maybe I was lucky...

Hope you have the same luck.

Yeah I've seen a 904 hold up for 2+ seasons of racing on a car going 10.1xx hitting 1.4 60ft's and when I opened it up it still looked brand new. In fact maybe I should have kept that thing...

speedyb-cc said:
What rebuild kits would anyone suggest for the 904?
Thanks again, God Bless,
Bruce

I'd use a TransStar kit, i think Northern Auto sells them (they have a website) make sure you look up the number on the trans to figure out what year it was since a couple internal parts vary by year.

-
Back