904 to 727

-
I have a mild 360 8:1 with the Edelbrock rmp intake, cam, and 650 carb. I plan on getter the rpm alum. heads and later on the EFI kit.

I wont be doing too much drag stuff, mainly street and auto cross.

I want something that will give me quick acceleration, not looking for top speed.

The 904 i have already has a shift kit, the rebuilder told me. Im not sure about the torque converter.

is there a place to buy the good internal components and have someone install them?

This is exactly why you should stay with a 904. A 904 will last nearly forever behind a mild small block that is not an everyday race car and that sounds like what your doing.

The 904 also has a lower first gear ratio and lighter internal parts and lighter parts means less drag. It also weighs about 25 lbs. less therefor will give you about an extra .1-.2 less in the 1/4 mile. May also help fuel economy a little since it's less weight to spin up. The final gear ratio is the same in a 904 and 727 so the top speed will be the same with either.

Your not running a low 11 second big block charger that weighs 4,000 lbs so there is no reason to switch to a 727.

If your trans. has already been rebuilt and has a shift improver kit and seems to work fine leave it alone. You can spend the money elsewhere. If it does need attention your best bet is to get with a competent transmission re-builder that knows Mopar transmissions and talk with him about doing it. Be warned though allot of transmissions shops are only in the business for one thing. To get your money. They don't actually do a very good job on rebuilding them. Such as setting all the tolerances to what they should be. Anybody can slap new clutches in a trans. and call it rebuilt but a true rebuilder actually closely resembles a re-manufacturing process. If you do rebuild it (or have it rebuilt) all is needed is a good set of Red Eagle clutch plates and kolene steel plates and new bands and a good complete seal kit and thrust washers and bushing set. These parts can be bought from www.bulkpart.com

I have been rebuilding torqueflites for over 25 yrs. now. Stock and performance applications. Don't listen to the bull crap that a 904 is junk. And they don't need a fortune worth of parts to make them really strong. The 727 is stronger but you don't need it by your description of the car and what your doing with it.

Another benefit of the 904 in a A-body car is it's a little smaller so there's more working room around it. I can tell you by experience that the top bellhousing bolts are not easy to get at on either trans. but a 904 is much easier than a 727 because of it's smaller diameter.

I'd think a properly done 904 would be plenty for what the OP wants his car to do, but maybe I'm way off.

My 318 will probably be pushing 325HP after I throw some parts at it. Elements of this thread have me thinking maybe I should go with a transmission out of a diesel dump truck. It may be prudent to yank the inferior 8.25 in favor of a Rockwell 2-speed rear as well.

I'm gonna have to source some 55-gallon drums for the trans tunnel mods.

GЯEENHOЯNET;248469 said:
insult? i'm not insulting anybody. i like joe, he'll tell you i express myself with a little more "to the point" kinda thing.

and to thanson_mopar.. yah its a 4-speed. not bad eh? :-D

Your running a 4-speed....car would be quicker if you switched to an automatic..lol....as far as the 727 being stronger,i blew up a couple behind a 340 in the past i've NEVER blown a 904!!!

hmmmmmm
just becouse i run a 4speed makes me what?
congrats on blowing up a 727! what where the circumstances?

Future plans are removing the .030 over 340 with the new Mopar Performance 440 Super Cammando crate engine, 727 w/trans brake and 3400-3800 converter, slicks and then go big block huntin'.

I like the 904 behind the small blocks. They hold up fine. Most people that say the 904 wont last never ran one.

-
Back