904 Trans/converter question

-

bill paynter

67 Cuda
Reaction score
I'm new to having a stall converter that stalls at 2500
and I was woundering if this is normal

when I first start my car after sitting a few days, it seems to slip the first time backing out of the garage.
As if the fluid has drained from the converter and has to refill

the trans and converter are brand new

That's probably exactly what's happening, the fluid has drained from the converter. I always put any auto tranny in neutral for a bit while the oil pressure comes up and I check that everything sounds O.K. That gives the converter a chance to refill with fluid while in neutral and you're off and running. :)

I agree with oldvart. you may have a bit more slippage - stock 1800 vice 2500 but you should be fine. A nice little punch feel now I guess, when she's rolling hay? :thumblef:

thanks guys
I kinda figured, but I'm still working out the bugs with the new stuff.
other than that the car runsand shifts great.

I've heard that certain shift kits will cause this drainage problem. Has to do with redrilling the valve body to re-route the fluid. As mentioned above, just let the fluid circulate a little before putting in gear. Not very convenient, but who say's hot rods are convenient.

there is a seal in the front of the tranny that keeps the fluid in the converter as well.

middleagecrisis said:
I've heard that certain shift kits will cause this drainage problem.

I believe the Transgo shift-kits eliminate the fluid drainback from the converter.

-
Back