904 trans year

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
I recently bought a dart and wondering about the 904 transmission in it. I'm pulling drivetrain so just want to know if this is a decent year 904 to build or not. Engine combo will probably be around 400 hp so nothing crazy. I figure it's a newer trans because it has a electronic plug where speedo goes not sure what year they went to that. The drivetrain has vibration in it when sitting there and rev it up. Looks like the right balancer on the LA 360 bit maybe it has wrong torque converter..mot much else it could be.

What is the PK number on the driver's side pan rail? Here is a trans number ID reference.
https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf

Except for a few rare instances, all 904's were basically the same and are externally indistinguishable from one another so you can't tell much just by looking at it. In general they were not found behind performance engines from the factory so no one year would be better than another. Lock up converters were 1978-up if that's what you are asking about?

That said, a 904 can be built up like any other trans. and due to having less rotating mass can often be quicker than a 727 built the same way. 904 built with good parts will handle 400 hp no problem.

What is the PK number on the driver's side pan rail? Here is a trans number ID reference.
https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf

Except for a few rare instances, all 904's were basically the same and are externally indistinguishable from one another so you can't tell much just by looking at it. In general they were not found behind performance engines from the factory so no one year would be better than another. Lock up converters were 1978-up if that's what you are asking about?

That said, a 904 can be built up like any other trans. and due to having less rotating mass can often be quicker than a 727 built the same way. 904 built with good parts will handle 400 hp no problem.

PK5211841425838524

Going by that number one would presume the unit is at least a late '80s-later variant. Definitely a lockup style converter. Not sure what it could be out of, maybe a cop car or van? What's the tail shaft look like?

Going by that number one would presume the unit is at least a late '80s-later variant. Definitely a lockup style converter. Not sure what it could be out of, maybe a cop car or van? What's the tail shaft look like?

Would it make a vibration in the drivetrain..like the wrong converter. Say if they used the converter that came with the trans. There a vibration in the drivetrain at idle..can't see converter it has inspection plate on and haven't had time to pull off

No idea dude but it's possible. Does it vibrate all the time in all gears/speeds/loads or just at idle? Kinda hard to diagnose a vibration over the interwebs, we can only guess. Could be a misfire, bad engine or trans mount... too many possibilities to guess at without more detailed and specific info.

If you have an LA 360 it's most likely externally balanced so I suppose it's possible to have the wrong flexplate (internally balanced) in there. That said, not sure if a late '80s model year trans would have been behind anything other than an externally-balanced engine anyway since they were all cast cranks at that time but who knows.

No idea dude but it's possible. Does it vibrate all the time in all gears/speeds/loads or just at idle? Kinda hard to diagnose a vibration over the interwebs, we can only guess. Could be a misfire, bad engine or trans mount... too many possibilities to guess at without more detailed and specific info.

If you have an LA 360 it's most likely externally balanced so I suppose it's possible to have the wrong flexplate (internally balanced) in there. That said, not sure if a late '80s model year trans would have been behind anything other than an externally-balanced engine anyway since they were all cast cranks at that time but who knows.

Yeah it's hard to say the engine and trans mounts look fine. Haven't really driven much has leaks and brakes stop about as good as me using my feet lol.

This is one of those part numbers that causes Chrysler parts managers to shake their heads. Occasionally Chrysler will supersede a part number backwards to a smaller number, which happens here. 52118414 changes to 4864251. The date code on transmission is September 15 1993, which would be the 1994 model year. It is a32rh transmission that was used in 1994 Dodge 150 vans and Ram 150 wagons. Here's a little trivia. List price in 1999 was $1500.00.

This is one of those part numbers that causes Chrysler parts managers to shake their heads. Occasionally Chrysler will supersede a part number backwards to a smaller number, which happens here. 52118414 changes to 4864251. The date code on transmission is September 15 1993, which would be the 1994 model year. It is a32rh transmission that was used in 1994 Dodge 150 vans and Ram 150 wagons. Here's a little trivia. List price in 1999 was $1500.00.

Would this trans cause a vibration in an LA engine with the torque converter that would have been with it.

So I was almost right about the number. Not sure on the '94 model year but pretty sure it will have electronic programming controls in it since that's when OBD II started appearing in vehicles. Frankly, I don't think many out there would have thought to put those two specific pieces together.

Mopar Automatic Transmission Details - Magnum engine swap |

Do yourself a favor - ditch the late model 32RH and find a late '60's early '70s non-lockup 904 or small block 727. It will bolt up to any LA motor without issue. They are simple units and will handle most anything you throw at it within reason. Get an externally balanced flex plate and be done with it.

So I was almost right about the number. Not sure on the '94 model year but pretty sure it will have electronic programming controls in it since that's when OBD II started appearing in vehicles. Frankly, I don't think many out there would have thought to put those two specific pieces together.

Mopar Automatic Transmission Details - Magnum engine swap |

Do yourself a favor - ditch the late model 32RH and find a late '60's early '70s non-lockup 904 or small block 727. It will bolt up to any LA motor without issue. They are simple units and will handle most anything you throw at it within reason. Get an externally balanced flex plate and be done with it.

It shifted fine I only drove around the block and realized something was wrong with the vibration. Trans only has an electronic speedometer on side no other electronics to shift. Not sure what year they went to electronic speedometer instead of the old cable ..I'd guess late 80's..

Correction on date code. Momentarily forgot Chrysler's 10000 day date correlation calendar ended in December of 1988,then it started over again in December of that year. So date code 2583 would be January 9 ,1996. The number 52118414 can be found in the 1994-96 truck parts catalog on page 21A-110.

Correction on date code. Momentarily forgot Chrysler's 10000 day date correlation calendar ended in December of 1988,then it started over again in December of that year. So date code 2583 would be January 9 ,1996. The number 52118414 can be found in the 1994-96 truck parts catalog on page 21A-110.

Wow I'm surprised someone put this trans in the car lol. Definitely not going back in it

This may or may not be of any concern to you, but there are 2 components in the 1996 transmission that you might be interested in. It has the electronic controlled torque converter. Also only 4 front clutch discs, whereas the 999 transmissions from the late 70's and eighties had 5 front clutch discs.

This may or may not be of any concern to you, but there are 2 components in the 1996 transmission that you might be interested in. It has the electronic controlled torque converter. Also only 4 front clutch discs, whereas the 999 transmissions from the late 70's and eighties had 5 front clutch discs.

I won't be using it. I'll get a 904 or 727

Could it be a 999 with the low gear set? If it came from a van or pickup-Just saying.

No, definitely not. It’s not even a 904.

Like I said, this is a modern, electronically controlled transmission, way different than the older units. I don’t even know how it fits in a ‘70s A body.

Well got the engine and trans out..definitely not a 904 and it doesn't look like the correct flex plate. I'm sure that had to be what was causing the bad drivetrain vibration while just sitting there..I'm sure that's rough on the ole bearings in the engine..

20210707_154843.jpg

20210707_154822.jpg

That’s the same flexplate that’s in my 02 Ram 2500 5.9 magnum.

That’s not a 46re with a transfer case, but does look similar to the 904 I have for my Hang 10 Dart Spory..

That’s the same flexplate that’s in my 02 Ram 2500 5.9 magnum.

That’s not a 46re with a transfer case, but does look similar to the 904 I have for my Hang 10 Dart Spory..

Yeah im it's got to be what was causing the vibration not be balanced properly

-
Back