904 transmission limits

-

magnumminded

Reaction score
Just wondering if a stock 904 would be fine behind say a 318 with 9:1 or 9.5.1 compression 256/262 voodoo cam performer intake, and 600 edelbrock carb with summit headers or a 5.2 magnum with a air gap, same carburetor, and same headers. I figure both engines are right around 300hp and 350 torque? I won't be hammering from a dead stop too much. Maybe race once or twice to see what it runs 1/4 mile wise? This car is more for highways with 2.76 gears.

I think that depends on the condition of the stock trans. What kind of a life has it lived? There are guys running 904's behind SB strokers but there not stock trans. If careful sure it could live good for you.

I was running a stock 904 behind a similar 318, but I had the Comp Cams XE268 in it. It got hammered from a dead stop a lot.

I think you could probably trade it for a 727 as some draggers prefer the 904. Then you have the 727 rebuilt and it'll last forever.

I ran a 904 behind my SB stroker for about 2 yrs. All I had done to the trans was rebuild it and add a kevlar band and a B&M shift kit. I was very heavy footed, from stops, on the highway, downshifting often, it took it all without a single complaint. Now the same 904 has a rmvb, deep pan billet drum and other billet goods inside, I like it alot more with the performance build. They can handle way more than my motor is putting out if they are built correctly.

-
Back