904 transmission

-

Terry Dingwell

Reaction score
I recently put a new deeper style tranny pan (3” deep as opposed to the old one 1” deep) on my 904 which I knew going into it it will take a couple extra litres as opposed to the shallow stock pan but I’ve now got 9 litres in there and it’s still not showing full on the stick!!! Will that deep pan need that much more tranny fluid??? HELP!!!

If you have the right dipstick, then it'll get there when it's correct. You'd be at 9 quarts (just over 9 liters) with the stock pan.

2 questions

Did you pre-fill the Torque Converter?

Did you put an extension on to lower the filter?

Waiting on the wise ones to weigh in :popcorn:

If you have the right dipstick, then it'll get there when it's correct. You'd be at 9 quarts (just over 9 liters) with the stock pan.

2 questions

Did you pre-fill the Torque Converter?

Did you put an extension on to lower the filter?

Waiting on the wise ones to weigh in :popcorn:
It’s the correct dipstick, nothing changed there. No I didn’t pre-fill the torque converter, I guess that’s why it’s taking so muc fluid? I did install a filter extension. I guess I keep adding until the dipstick says stop.

It’s the correct dipstick, nothing changed there. No I didn’t pre-fill the torque converter, I guess that’s why it’s taking so muc fluid? I did install a filter extension. I guess I keep adding until the dipstick says stop.
That's the best way....

The deep pans I see listed on the interwebs show extra two quarts capacity…sounds like you’re not there yet.

Also, make sure you have the dipstick tube fully seated (not sure if you had it out at all).

I recently put a new deeper style tranny pan (3” deep as opposed to the old one 1” deep) on my 904 which I knew going into it it will take a couple extra litres as opposed to the shallow stock pan but I’ve now got 9 litres in there and it’s still not showing full on the stick!!! Will that deep pan need that much more tranny fluid??? HELP!!!
I did that exact upgrade earlier this spring. It will take another 2 litres with the deeper pan once you have the TC filled.

Thanks everyone for your help on this matter. From what I’m gathering here I’m just about to the mark on the stick. I guess all the extra tranny fluid makes sense now as the new pan is actually three times deeper than the stock one. Inwas just scared I would overfill it and cause internal damage somehow.

-
Back