904 valve body question

-

KENTON

Reaction score
I am putting a transgo tf2 kit in today. The kit says reuse the original converter valve spring. Problem there are 2 springs that I took out, that are same diameter and length. One is a little stiffer than the other, so my question is which one is the spring for the converter valve?

That's a problem and why you need to pay close attention to keeping everything in order. Are they different colors? What part do you think the other spring came out of? I have a VB I can look at. knowing these answers will help me determine what goes where.

There are 2 that are 1" long. One brown? Weaker of the two. The other is black. Then ther are 2 that are 1 1/4" long one is black and one is red I think. So a title of 4 springs. I guess I thought I had a book that had that info. But it did not. Thanks for your help.

I found keeping each valve assembly in a separate compartment in one of the divided plastic trays is essential to getting valve bodies back together correctly. That and take a ton of pics with the phone just in case.

I found keeping each valve assembly in a separate compartment in one of the divided plastic trays is essential to getting valve bodies back together correctly. That and take a ton of pics with the phone just in case.

That's a great idea. Wish I would have thought of that sooner.

I found out the hard way just like you. Fishy will hook you up if you just give him some time. Helped me out in the past as well.

There are 2 that are 1" long. One brown? Weaker of the two. The other is black. Then ther are 2 that are 1 1/4" long one is black and one is red I think. So a title of 4 springs. I guess I thought I had a book that had that info. But it did not. Thanks for your help.

I'll go out and look and post back what I find

One thing I forgot to ask is what year trans. do you have and is it a lockup or regular non-lockup trans? All I have are non-lockup valve bodies. I had 1 valve body easy to get at and I took it apart and it had no 2 valves 1" long and another set 1-1/4 long. Couldn't tell any colors either. All looked black. The only thing I can say for sure is the converter valve and 1-2 shift valve are real close in size and the converter valve was the heavier of the 2. This valve body was an older style made before 71. I have some more but their buried in a tub under the bench and I just had hernia surgery yesterday so I ain't up to digging them out. I did find a picture of a valve body I took apart last year and made some notes for a guy. It was the newer style valve body but not a lock up. I also found a couple pictures I scanned out book I had. Will attach them all. The 2 out of the book are in PDF so you'll need adobe reader to open them. Hope that helps

Attachments

• Valve body springs.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Torqueflite Non-LU VB 1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
  • Torqueflite Non-LU VB 2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
-
Back