904 Valve Body Selection

-

Icantdrive75

Live75
Reaction score
I am planning a floor shift conversion on my 75 Duster (Bench Seat) with rebuilt 318, 30 over, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 650 Carb, mild cam with 360 heads and a 904. I sure could use some help and advice. Several other threads have indicated that a B&M Megashifter BM 80690 (Ratcheting Type) is a good option for this application. What type of valve body should be used with this shifter? Also how do you determine what type of valve body is currently installed ? Motor and transmission originally came out of a 1985 Dodge Diplomat Police Car. The Diplomat had a long unsavory history passed between brothers-in law and friends. She had been around the block more times than Susie Sweatbelly and Mary Monkeyf***. No telling what kind of communicable diseases the Diplomat is carrying-Any help would be appreciated!

What number is stamped on the rail above the pan on the driver's side. Starts with PK usually.

I am planning a floor shift conversion on my 75 Duster (Bench Seat) with rebuilt 318, 30 over, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 650 Carb, mild cam with 360 heads and a 904. I sure could use some help and advice. Several other threads have indicated that a B&M Megashifter BM 80690 (Ratcheting Type) is a good option for this application. What type of valve body should be used with this shifter? Also how do you determine what type of valve body is currently installed ? Motor and transmission originally came out of a 1985 Dodge Diplomat Police Car. The Diplomat had a long unsavory history passed between brothers-in law and friends. She had been around the block more times than Susie Sweatbelly and Mary Monkeyf***. No telling what kind of communicable diseases the Diplomat is carrying-Any help would be appreciated!
The 318 in my duster originally came out of a cop car and it had a 727? Why the cop cars had bigger Transmissions. Anyways I don't think you need any kind of valve body change. I've had the same exact setup with a 318 360 heads. Doubtfully with this setup you want to go to a reverse valve body of any kind that's just kidding a little too crazy for what you're doing and your motor size. I found a nice Quicksilver ratchet shifter at the Swap Meet. I consider a reverse manual valve body or something like that to be more track dedicated kind of stuff. I suggest a nice strong shift kit and a ratchet shifter.

I just put the mega shifter in mine, I like it. I have a spare pro stick ratcheting

What number is stamped on the rail above the pan on the driver's side. Starts with PK usually.
I'll have to take a look a little later. Duster is at a shop and getting headers and a new exhaust system which was the catalyst for the floor shift conversion. I wasn't comfortable with modifying the existing linkage and was also having trouble sourcing the replacement bushings. Thanks for the response. Should have the stampings early next week. Thanks again!

I'll have to take a look a little later. Duster is at a shop and getting headers and a new exhaust system which was the catalyst for the floor shift conversion. I wasn't comfortable with modifying the existing linkage and was also having trouble sourcing the replacement bushings. Thanks for the response. Should have the stampings early next week. Thanks again!
Oh I looked at your question one more time and no you don't need any kind of different valve body. Any of those shifters should have different brackets for the different popular Transmissions like the Chevy 350 turbo bracket and a Mopar bracket which would fit the 904 or the 727. It'll probably have a pin that you put in it to make from reverse to park a short distance because the Chevys and or Fords have a long distance between reverse and park to the shifter moves a little farther for those cars.
They're real simple to install new basically bolter to the floor where you want it and poke a hole through the floor where the cable comes through and wrap it around and it attaches to transmission pan bolts and goes up to your leaver. Easy peasy....

Scott657-Did you do anything in terms of the kickdown linkage?
I used the lokar cable that was already on there, made a bracket
And adjusted the cable so full throw corresponded to WOT
Then gave about 1/8 freeplay
on the kick down at the carb

Finally got my B&M Megashifter installed. Also went with a column shift delete kit from Classic Industries #MP14054. More about the swx later.

B&M.jpg

NEWSWX.jpg

-
Back