904 valve body

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
took our trans to the shop and they figured out the valve body was bad so now i need to replace it.. whats the difference between the 904 manual and auto valve bodies.. anyone have any recommendations for a valve body to use for a street/ strip car.

What does a bad valve body look like? I've never seen one.......unless it was dropped, or fell off a shelf and broke. They simply don't "go bad". That's the first thing I would get cleared up.

the shop said there was something bent with in the valve body and that its an accuride trans so something like that and that they are more the most part junk from the factory

the shop said there was something bent with in the valve body and that its an accuride trans so something like that and that they are more the most part junk from the factory

I would either find a new shop or do it myself.

y would you say that.. this is a good shop from what i have been told and looked up..

To answer your original question, manual valve bodies require that you shift through the gears manually. Auto valve bodies are what originally come in a stock 727/904 and about 95% of stock transmissions.

explain y they are wrong

How the hell would I know? Do I have the valve body in front of me? The Torqueflite valve body is not a wear item. They said "something" is bent and yet, you don't know what?

Aren't you the least bit curious as to what is bent? I've been in this business since 1974, yet I have never, ever, in my entire life heard of a Torqueflite as an "accuride" transmission.

Aren't you the least bit curious about why a veteran mechanic with over 40 years experience has never heard of that before? Sounds fishy to me is all.

And no, I don't know everything by a long shot.....what I know would fit on the head of a pin......probably a few times.

Lastly, it's not MY place to tell YOU why YOUR SHOP is wrong. It is THEIR PLACE to tell you why THEY are right.

Like I said before, Torqueflite valve bodies don't just "go bad". I have seen manual valves get bent from binding linkage, but those are easily replaced.

Were I you, I would get a very detailed explanation of what I was about to pay for.......or better yet, I would be doing it myself.

Like I said. Good luck!

Just get yourself a Turbo Action Cheetah manual valve body..

What was your complaint with the transmission that led you to take it to a transmission shop?

after having to explained to me better the issue with the valve body is that someone put a shift kit in and drilled the holes in the wrong spots and broke out the wall in the wrong spot.

What was your complaint with the transmission that led you to take it to a transmission shop?
it wasnt shifting properly. it was shift to 2nd at 3mph and 3rd at 4mph. and using the stock directions didnt help the shifts.. adjusting it more and less didnt help.. there was nothing i was able to do to fix it so we took it in to get looked at.. i thought he said there was a bend in something and there wasnt.. the issue is someone before us had the trans rebuilt by someone and they installed a shift kit wrong and drilled the holes wrong,

it wasnt shifting properly. it was shift to 2nd at 3mph and 3rd at 4mph. and using the stock directions didnt help the shifts.. adjusting it more and less didnt help.. there was nothing i was able to do to fix it so we took it in to get looked at.. i thought he said there was a bend in something and there wasnt.. the issue is someone before us had the trans rebuilt by someone and they installed a shift kit wrong and drilled the holes wrong,
If that is the case then you definitely need a valve body. I have an extra one sitting here if you were close you could have it.

got my trans back. old valve body was bad.. there was a ball and in the wrong location. a ball and spring where there shouldnt of been, a broken tab for the small bolts, and a valve piston was struck and not moving..

got my trans back. old valve body was bad.. there was a ball and in the wrong location. a ball and spring where there shouldnt of been, a broken tab for the small bolts, and a valve piston was struck and not moving..
Lol!! That isn't a bad valve body sir, that is sabotage!!! Geebuz!! Did they leave cleaver marks on the case?

Lol!! That isn't a bad valve body sir, that is sabotage!!! Geebuz!! Did they leave cleaver marks on the case?
and probably didn't even show him a 904 valve body......... Sounds fishy to me too!

-
Back