904 wont shift into top under load.

-

Valvebounce

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 904 that had been used behind an aussie hemi 6. It crapped out, and the guy (a good mate of mine) had it rebuilt. The shop askd him where it had come from 'cos it had extra friction plates in it. (It's history was unknown as it came from parts unknown.
He drove it for a few years, like a real grandma, untill the car got too rusty, and he sold it to me. The auto was then used behind a 318 for a while, but never really driven "hard". so it should still be in good cond all things being eqaul. it eventually got pulled out of that car as it developed the fault of not selecting top gear when driving under load. (IE towing the boat up hill)
Now I'm building another motor which I'm screw the hell out of, and since there shouln't be too much wrong with this auto, I'd like to use it. (plus the extra clutches it supposedly has)

So, Why would it not upshift under load?

Four different things could cause the problem.
1. kickdown linkage out of adjustment
2. governor sticking
3. sticky valve in the valve body
4. front clutch in the trans is toast
did i miss any?

None of that sounds too hard to fix. I doubt any of the clutches would be toast. the rebuild it had was powerful expensive if I recall correctly. And it hasn't had any spirited use since.

-
Back