904shift problem

-

Einstein

Reaction score
I have a 340 4 bbl with a 904 . I put a 1" spacer under the carb also got rid of all the shift rods and installed a lokar shift cable. My problem is that I have a long shift from 2nd to 3rd it won't shift until 45 mph unless I take my foot off of the gas. Any help?

Typically there is a downshift linkage from the carb that is adjustable. I use that to adjust when the upshift from 2 to 3 occurs. Does yours have this setup?

Typically there is a downshift linkage from the carb that is adjustable. I use that to adjust when the upshift from 2 to 3 occurs. Does yours have this setup?
No I removed it and installed a lokar shift cable

I'm not familiar with the lokar shift cable. Does that go from your shifter to the trans or from the carb to the trans?

BTW I have a 360 hooked up to my 904 if you need photos of the factory setup.

How does it adjust? It may just be a matter of playing with it to adjust to shift at the right place.

My setup. Hope this helps.
carb.jpg
20180503_212842.jpg

My setup requires quite a bit of throttle movement til it starts actuating the shift linkage. I looked at the Lokar and it looks like it moves at the same time. I'm no tranny expert, but there are others at this site that may chime in. Wish I could be more help.

My setup requires quite a bit of throttle movement til it starts actuating the shift linkage. I looked at the Lokar and it looks like it moves at the same time. I'm no tranny expert, but there are others at this site that may chime in. Wish I could be more help.
Thanks

If I get it to shift right then I don't have a passing gear

If you can get proper shift points, then perhaps you should look at this problem as: no part throttle kickdown.

Troubleshooting guides are available online for such symptoms. I do have the FSM for a similar engine/trans. setup. I can read through it but, I may not be able to answer for a few days.

If you can get proper shift points, then perhaps you should look at this problem as: no part throttle kickdown.

Troubleshooting guides are available online for such symptoms. I do have the FSM for a similar engine/trans. setup. I can read through it but, I may not be able to answer for a few days.

Some torqueflite's are very sensitive to the throttle pressure adjustment. Just a little too much and it hangs in gear too long. Not enough and you don't have kickdown. Your last statement mentioned when you get it to shift right you don't have kickdown. That suggests you don't have the cable adjusted quite tight enough. Close but no cigar. Try adjusting it just a little at a time until you get kickdown. Gotta find that happy medium.

BTW: can you post a picture of the Lokar cable hookup at the carb and transmission please?

-
Back