915s or 596s

-

hwp

Reaction score
Not a small block guy, but learning. I have been building my friends car (72 Ply Val) for about 3 years now. Had the 408 (360) in a long time ago, but did not fill in the small air holes under the exhaust ports. He bought a set of 915 heads a few years ago and we talked about changing heads. Well this week I got out there and removed the heads on the car. They are 596 heads with small valves (Why would you do this) anyway. got to looking at them both. The 915s are considered very good heads I thougt. but other then the small valves, the ports of the 596s look alot better the the 915. I can work on them, nothing major, just some clean up. Is it worth it. the 915s have new intake valves. here are some pics of the 596 vs 915.

9151.JPG

9152.JPG

9153.JPG

It's my understanding that they are basically the same heads. Maybe some minor differences but that's it. I have a set of X heads (894's) a set of 915's and just sold a set of 587's. The 587's did have slightly smaller exhaust ports but other than that they all looked very similiar except the X heads had 2.02 int. valves. That being the case I'd say do whatever needs the least work cause in the end they will be the same or real close.

I like the valves in the 915s, but the ports just look so crapy to me. Looks like I cast them on a sat morning after a good port call down under.

Not going full bore on these, just cleaned up and gasket matched ports

1915.JPG

2915.JPG

3915.JPG

-
Back