92 Dodge Ram won't idle??

-

alleyoopmgv

Reaction score
This is my 92 with a 318 magnum engine.
Anyways, the problem that I have with it is it won't idle, kills at stop lights. it runs real good going down the road. It doesn't miss a beat, plenty of power.

The codes that it's kicking out is the confusing part with me? 35 2 55? I know that 55 is just the end.

Suggestions anyone? IAC? what else could it be?

Attachments

• IMG_3887.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 186
Go to pull a part and get a different computer and switch it out. You might have a bad computer. Went through similar issue with my 88. If it straightens up you've got it pin pointed. Luck of the draw on computers. They will guarantee them with in store only refund.

Just a first thought would be the throttle position sensor. Is it hard to start?

My truck is a "98 model. I am not sure if they have the same magnum setup or not. But anyway, when my truck started having a cranking issue I had to floor it to get it to crank. Driving down the road it ran fine as long as I was cruising along. If I had to stop and take off, sometimes, not always, it would try to die. I drove it that way a couple of days and noticed the temp gauge would just drop to 0 all of a sudden. Turned out the temp sending unit had corroded and was falling apart ( coolant leak from thermostat got it ). Put a new one in it and she was ready to go.

the throttle body is dirty,remove air cleaner hold throttle wide open,clean butterfly and body with carburator cleaner and a old toothbrush.when i work for dodge we a lot of people replace a lot parts that didn't fix the truck for that problem.

So I am assuming that you retrieved the codes by cycling the key. First I would do that again and verify your numbers.
Code 35 refers to the cooling fan relay.
There is no code 2. Possibly code 11 (2 flashes).
Code 55 end of list.
Double check the numbers and let me know what you come up with. Sounds like a combination of IAC and dirty throttle body but it could be a vacuum leak, TPS, EGR etc...
~Michael

I have found that vacuum leaks are usually the culprit, even with new engines.

weak/old battery can cause idle speed memory problems with engine computer. have battery checked could be cause of your problem . would be a good idea to clean throttle body also

Thanks guys, I'm not going to be able to get back to it until this weekend, but I really do appreciate all the help guys!

Yeah, I don't know if I'm even reading the codes right, I understand the concept of it, but I will try again this weekend. I will try to clean the throttle body first, then go for the IAC and see what happens.

It's you IAC. Pull it out an clean it really good and maybe sea foam it. My 96 jeep with the 318 was doing the same thing. This cured it. Maybe even pull off your throttle body and clean it good.

We have had a few auto's around here that say if they don't use a fuel treatment
there auto's are hard to start and idle ruff and die on stops and all they did was started to add a gas treatment, seafoam or a good fuel treatment for the new gas mix we are getting these days. Ethanol added to our gas at the pump can bee the culprit here.

There are a couple of things that cause that. Yes if the battery is weak.
When you go to start it. The battery voltage will drop to a level that wipes
out the memory. But it still runs, just poorly.
The idle air control valve is sticky. You can go through and clean it. But in
the long run just change it out for a new one and clean the throttle body.
I know first hand that the IAC will not throw a code when bad. Just cause
the idle problem. They don't cost that much.
Good luck.

-
Back