93 Ramcharger suddenly died

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need some help with computer controlled stuff...
My 93 Ramcharger suddenly died while we were driving. Putting along at 45mph and all the sudden like the key was turned off, it died. no speedo either, but my temp and alt gauge still worked. Oil press did not since it was not running. I did some checks after getting it parked, and tried to pull codes with the key trick. nothing at all. no blinks, no engine light at all either. I do know that it did have codes b/c it did have a faulty O2 sensor the week prior. Which I replaced.

It will crank over. No spark. The rotor turns. I am thinking it may be the computer from what I have been reading. No speedo control and sudden engine quitting leads to the CPU. Am I in the right direction to order a new one? Thanks

It could be coil, crank sensor etc. I had an 03 van with a 318 that did the same thing, driving along through town and it just shut off like you describe and would not start again, it was the coil.

I will add that I bought the truck just over a month ago it was in very bad maintenance shape and I have replaced B/C it was bad: coil,cap,rotor,wires,plugs. Battery, cables, all hoses. Temp sending unit, O2 sensor, belt,tensioner, t-stat,all new suspension. exhaust, cat converter. I was able to pull the codes last week and it told me the O2 sensor and temp sending unit were bad. After it broke down it's not showing anything at all now. Makes me think it may be the puter.
Looking at all I had put into it, makes me wonder why I bought it.

Check the wire to the crank sensor. You say you changed the coil, it's quite possible the one you got took a crap, maybe try the old one if you still have it, if it was working.

It seems to me there were some issues with some of the coils that were being sold, cheap Chinese junk or something like that.

It could be the comp, but I would certainly check everything else first. Computer will be pricey, I had to eventually replace the one in the van and by the time I bought it, had it flashed it was about 500 bucks.

Their is a group of wires, just about by the 3 solenoids on the driver side, that has 4 fuseable links in it. One of the links is for the ignition, and it will burn out, if the ignition on the colum gets hot (the box around the colum). This will happen if the heater motor (in high position), or the A/C is used a lot, or for long periods, these wires are wrapped in the harness, and you will have to search for them. The wires are spliced into one large wire. They are a weak link in the 91-93 Dodge Truck/ Ramcharger ignition circuit. I believe the one that is the culprit is orange. I am doing this from memory, as I had that happen on all my Ramchargers. A/C usage is the worst. The colom box can actually get a hole burnt in it on the bottom, from the heat. Pull the box, and check the wires on the switch, the red one will be burnt looking. Hope I have helped you some. This is all form Memory, and getting towed home a few times, in my various Ramchargers.

barracudadave67

This is a TBI motor, right? Or is it a Magnum? I had a TBI 318 in a 1991 that would do this once in a while. It was the electronic pickup in the distributor - some people call it a hall effect switch. It is down underneath the rotor. Mine would run fine and then just die. Did this to me about 6 times before I figured it out. Ran fine after that!

Their is a group of wires, just about by the 3 solenoids on the driver side, that has 4 fuseable links in it. One of the links is for the ignition, and it will burn out, if the ignition on the colum gets hot (the box around the colum). This will happen if the heater motor (in high position), or the A/C is used a lot, or for long periods, these wires are wrapped in the harness, and you will have to search for them. The wires are spliced into one large wire. They are a weak link in the 91-93 Dodge Truck/ Ramcharger ignition circuit. I believe the one that is the culprit is orange. I am doing this from memory, as I had that happen on all my Ramchargers. A/C usage is the worst. The colom box can actually get a hole burnt in it on the bottom, from the heat. Pull the box, and check the wires on the switch, the red one will be burnt looking. Hope I have helped you some. This is all form Memory, and getting towed home a few times, in my various Ramchargers.

barracudadave67

This^^^^^ I had the same thing happen, I think the fusible link powers the Auto shut down relay which is one of the relays on the inner fender. If that's not getting power your ignition and other stuff is not powering up and you wont be able to pull codes.

You say it shows no codes, as in none at all? It should have flashed for "End of Codes" at the very least, even if nothing was in the recent history.

Which makes me think there's something there with the ECM, possibly a corroded connection, bad ground or broken wire. Or in the worst (but most common) scenario, the ECM itself...

Another thing comes to mind, the ASD Relay, if it fails (or receives a bad connection) you instantly lose Spark and Fuel. I've seen that a lot, it generally is a bad relay or a broken wire causing ASD issues.

as stated, check the fusible links and the auto shutdown relay.

The coil is new, anout 3 weeks old now. the old, original one was arcing all over the place. No codes at all. no 55, no check engine light. nothing. Speedometer quite at the same time the engine shut down. Can I just swap relays to see if it is the ASD? I think it's the second one closest to the battery from what I have read.
It is a 93 Magnum 318, not sure what EFI it has, but it is injected. I looked and did not see a fuseable link along the fender, but will look again when it stops raining.
I had it towed home, so I do not have to figure this thing out a parking lot.
Thanks!

Go to the dealer and get a new coil after market are no good had the same problem and was told to get a dealer coil. have had no problems since.

The coil is new, anout 3 weeks old now. the old, original one was arcing all over the place. No codes at all. no 55, no check engine light. nothing. Speedometer quite at the same time the engine shut down. Can I just swap relays to see if it is the ASD? I think it's the second one closest to the battery from what I have read.
It is a 93 Magnum 318, not sure what EFI it has, but it is injected. I looked and did not see a fuseable link along the fender, but will look again when it stops raining.
I had it towed home, so I do not have to figure this thing out a parking lot.
Thanks!

yes, just flip the cover over and it will tell you what one is the asd, swap it with any of them except the fuel pump relay, and see if it starts.

No cover anymore. I will try swapping the first two relays. What would cause the ASD relay to blow? anything particular to check for, or just go bad with age? Thanks!

With no 55 code I would suspect the engine control module and it'll be pricey.
So check the crank sensor and wiring, the coil is also a good suggestion.

Still could be the crank sensor, if it doesn't have a bad circuit it will not necessarily give a trouble code, just not see rpm. If you have any way to check for rpm with a scan tool would be the easiest way, but seeing if the injectors are firing with a noid light (<$20) is another. It still could be a wire or PCM, wires fail much more often than pcms do though.

Is this a magnum or TBI LA motor? If it's the latter, it won't have a crank sensor

With no 55 code I would suspect the engine control module and it'll be pricey.
So check the crank sensor and wiring, the coil is also a good suggestion.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I've seen that happen a lot.

Is this a magnum or TBI LA motor? If it's the latter, it won't have a crank sensor

'93 is a Magnum Engine (92 for 318's, 360's changed over to Mag in 93)

Well it is not the ASD relays. I swaped them out and still nothing. I ordered another computer. Hopefully that will fix it.

I had something like that happen before. The metal piece on the rotor button came off will going down the road. I gained a few more gray hairs from that one.

Did you find and check all the Fusible links on the drivers side inner fender? There was a wire splice on the passenger side of the engine that was bare and blew the link on my 92' Ram. It acted just as you describe( no ignition, fuel pump, codes etc.). Check and make sure you have power to the relays, not just that the relays are good. If you cant get the ignition to give you codes then putting a coil or crank sensor on it ain`t gonna help. Check the links.

The ECM is $100 bucks from pep boys, just replaced the one in my `92 Ram two weeks ago for an overcharging condition (voltage regulator is in the ECM). Turns out the ECM was good and my craftsman multimeter was junk lol. I don't think the ECM is your problem tho. Make sure your grounds are good and check the links.

I HAD THE SAME THING EXACTLY HAPPEN TO ME! It ended up being the computer. You can get one at pull a part with guarantee.

Well it is not the ASD relays. I swaped them out and still nothing. I ordered another computer. Hopefully that will fix it.

I had this issue with my 94 Ram and it was the computer.

Take it to the dealer as each computer must be programed to the truck

I had this issue with my 94 Ram and it was the computer.

Take it to the dealer as each computer must be programed to the truck

1993 is pre OBD, don't require programing, your 94 didn't need it either but they are quick to take your money!

I'm betting a f usable link for the computer went bad, did you check the computer to see if it has key'd power and power all the time?

what are you going to do when you buy the new computer and that doesn't fix it? there not returnable. slapping a computer on something is a bad idea, could frigg up the new computer and still not get it running

-
Back