'94 318 magnum

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
I want to use this in a A body eventually . I've read few things that confusing me to. I know they did not put these in cars so I need a oil pan and pick up tube . Guys on here say I need a 360 oil pan . But they didn't put 360 mags in cars either . So can someone tell me exactly what I need to buy ? Which oil pan and which pick up tube ?

You need a mid sump 360 car oil pan. There are many vendors for this. When you choose and buy the pan they usually either include the pick up or have an option for you to purchase the matching pick for extra $

You need a mid sump 360 car oil pan. There are many vendors for this. When you choose and buy the pan they usually either include the pick up or have an option for you to purchase the matching pick for extra $
This doesn't make sense 360 mags didn't come in cars either . And
360 la or 360 mag ? This site says over and over LA ones are not interchangeable with magnums oil pans.

Still not clear enough . 360 mag did not come in cars either. So by default you must mean 360 la. But every thread on this says the LA don't share same oil pan pattern.

Same Pan. 273, 318, 340 La and 318 Magnum.
Milodon 30750 360 pan for LA and Magnum, Car Style Cadmium Finish

you may need to change timing cover. If you’re swapping anyway, might want to consider the 360 magnum. Although if doing so it is harder to find the B&M flexplate to run neutral balance stall converters..

there’s lots you need to know before just converting too. You should read up as much as possible. Like your fuel system is a big one..

Still not clear enough . 360 mag did not come in cars either. So by default you must mean 360 la. But every thread on this says the LA don't share same oil pan pattern.
To make it perfectly clear:
Use the LA 360 passenger car oil pan, pickup, and dipstick/tube. 5.9 and 5.2 Magnums both use the LA 360 style oil pan. the only difference is in the gasket- Magnums use a one piece gasket/end seals which are incompatible with the LA pan without modification to the pan or a generous application of RTV to the corners of the end seals; so just use the LA 360 gaskets and seals to simplify the installation.
The "pattern" is the same regardless of LA or Magnum, so you either misunderstood the threads or you're getting bad information.
To avoid confusion, the Magnums are generally referred to as 5.9 and 5.2, LAs are 360 and 318s even though they are identical displacement-wise.
FWIW, I believe the 5.2 (318) Magnums also use the 340/360 motor mount spacing, so when you get mount brackets, be aware of the difference .

Last edited:
This site says over and over LA ones are not interchangeable with magnums oil pans.
Only the LA 273/318/340 pans won't work. LA 360 pans have different end seal sizes and bolt right on to the Magnums.
But every thread on this says the LA don't share same oil pan pattern.
I've looked and didn't see a single thread that stated this- which is completely false anyway.

Same Pan. 273, 318, 340 La and 318 Magnum.
Milodon 30750 360 pan for LA and Magnum, Car Style Cadmium Finish

you may need to change timing cover. If you’re swapping anyway, might want to consider the 360 magnum. Although if doing so it is harder to find the B&M flexplate to run neutral balance stall converters..

there’s lots you need to know before just converting too. You should read up as much as possible. Like your fuel system is a big one..
Ah see another thread on here I read all La used same pan and both magnums uses same pan and why I was very confused thanks much . I have La car pans here

-
Back