97 Ram ignition timing

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
On a stock 97, 5.2 Ram magnum, is there any special way to set the timing and what should it be? All I can find myself is that it's preset at factory and no adjustments needed. I'm sure it's changed since 97.
Thanks

The timing is controlled by the computer and the distributor controls the fuel sync. If the distributor has been moved a dealer or an independant garage can set the sync signal with a DRB scan tool.

Agreed. If you twist the dist, you're altering the cam position sensor timing. Hooray for computers.

It is a good idea to get this adjusted with higher mileage. Timing chain slack/wear throws it out, but it's NOT set via timing light!

Oh, ok. Makes sense. The old girl runs good. I was wondering if I can advance the timing a bit.
Thank you!

I believe with the stock system, the crank position on the rear of the passenger side of the block can be adjusted for more timing. Dont know if the bracket needs to be hogged out a little in the bolt holes or if people are getting better timing because they are spending time to get it properly adjusted and alligned.

-
Back