97 Ram OD Button Wiring Help

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
ok so my 97 ram 4x4 has the OD button on the dash, so either its in 3rd or with the button off its in 4th/lock up. Sucks as you cant drive in that 40-65 range as it goes into lock up and lugs (but not during the time its in 4th before lock up).

So i found another "OD Off" switch and am going to install it next to the other one (no fog switch) and wire it for the lock up. Problem is i cant find any wiring diagrams for the factory dash OD switch.

My plan was to splice in the switch after the other od switch so i can have lock up only if 4th is allowed but controllable.

does anyone have a diagram of that switch? after i get it all together and working i'll ask a mod to make a sticky somewhere as its going to really help MPG around town and mpg for light towing.

thanks
Ed

EDIT: pic of stock OD and "hole" im going to install the second one in

dash5.png

I had a 98 Ram 4X4. The O.D. switch was on the column gear selector. I suspect it was the same switch just in a different location than yours. The good news is I have the digital manual and it shows the operation of the switch. You are welcome to it if you want it.
I will be leaving to go hunting this afternoon and won't be back until Sat. Let me know.

Jack

yea if you just want to scan that page that would be super! If i miss ya good luck on the hunt!

Did you know that they used to make a kit for most transmissions that delays the lockup to a higher MPH?
Might want to chk into that before getting into it too far.

Did you know that they used to make a kit for most transmissions that delays the lockup to a higher MPH?
Might want to chk into that before getting into it too far.

yea we just installed one on the 46. a lot of extra wiring and cost involved with those though as you have a pressure switch and relay for both 4th and lockup. with the lock up under control i'll be able to see if I need to go that far or not.

yea we just installed one on the 46. a lot of extra wiring and cost involved with those though as you have a pressure switch and relay for both 4th and lockup. with the lock up under control i'll be able to see if I need to go that far or not.

Yea, it aint cheap.

hmm Thanks jack but no such luck... anybody else have a link or anything for the OD button?

Still havn't given up on this! spent a half hour chasing wires thru the factory service manual, the uber thick one... but i now have a wiring diagram of the switch to PCM and PCM to trans now!

i will post again when i get more updates.

-
Back