97 Ram transfer case help

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I just bought this 97 Ram 1500 4x4. It has/had a plethora of problems. After putting on new front wheel hubs, U-joints, axel seals, all new brakes, rotors master, drums. Exhaust (had no muffler) The list goes on. After doing all that and much more finally drive it, it has a wierd noise coming from the drivetrain that I think is the transfer case. Sounds like something is rubbing howling metal on metal rubbing. Sounds similar to a harley primary sprocket, but louder. Only does it when driving. 4wd works and did not notice it as loud in 2wd, but also did not go that fast either.
The book calls for ATF in the case, but in my harley I ran 20w50 to quiet it down. Can I do the same for the transfer case in this truck? I don't think it is a driveshaft U-joint but can they squeal without them shaking? The truck has no driveline/brake vibrations at all. I just can't figure out this noise. Any suggestions???

Do "not" put oil in your T case . It's not designed for it . You can put something Lucas in it but "not" gear oil or oil . Are you sure the noise is coming from your T case ? Check your drive shafts . See if the upper part of the front shaft is maybe binding up or something . Or maybe even blown .

Could be the rear end. The pinion bearings are quite common to go out on those trucks. You could jack up the back end, put it on some jacks stands and run it with the tires off the ground. Then see where the noise comes from. The pinion bearings will echo up the drive shaft and seem to come from the T case. The t cases are usually pretty reliable as long as they are kept full of fluid. If it leaks and has been run low the chain stretches out and can rub inside the case.

I was kinda wondering if it could be the pinion bearing too. looking at it, it is leaking pretty badly out the pinion seal. I was going to change the seal, but I guess it won't be much more to pull axles and check the bearing. I did check the front shaft u-joints when it was in park, and spun the front shaft and nothing felt like it was binding. The u-joints are probabally the originals; front and rears.

Some times all you need to do is disconnect the rear shaft and turn the pinion by hand and you will feel how rough and notchy it is.

The sealed drive shaft u joints hold up pretty good usually.

-
Back