98 Dodge ram shifting hard!!!! help!

-

swingingdart

Reaction score
I just got a 98 dodge, and drove it for a while and it seemed fine. It had been sitting a while at the previous owners place. But now when I get on it very hard it gets to about 45 and I think shifts to 3rd, then it jumps back a gear, and shifts, jumps back again, then shifts and keeps it finally. Plus, it started shifting hard if your not accelerating hard. can anybody tell me what this means? my tranny isn't going out is it?

Is it throwing a code? My 98 would rev over 3 grand before it would shift then it would shift hard. Turned out to be a speed sensor on the transmission.
Also you might check if the TV (throttle valve) cable is set properly.
Here's a link to the service manual for 98-99's just in case, http://spillage.net/Public/98%20Dodge%20Ram%20Truck%20SM.pd

it's not throwing a code that I know of (no light is on) I almost wondered if it wasn't a speed censor. could it throw a code and not show any light?

I Brain Farted, I was changing the fluid and I universal fluid (Dexron-3/mercon Whatever) will this hurt it? the manual says ATF+3 but it says both work for the transfer case. I was just wondering if I need to take my dodge home and change the fluid again? (Oh and the speed sensor fixed the hard shifting!)

X2 on what OldKimmer said. They don't make ATF+3 anymore, you need ATF+4.

I'm going to change it this weekend, but for now I added Lube Gard ATF Supplement. Pretty neat stuff really! I'm still going to change it, but this stuff says I don't have to if I add it!

-
Back