98 Dodge Ram Transmission swap?

-

swingingdart

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can swap out the transmission in my 1998 dodge ram with a 2002 dodge ram transmission? half ton, 4X4. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!!

Your lack of information makes it impossible to say. Do both trucks have the same engine? Are they the same model of transmission? If the engine and trans are the same models the 02 will likely bolt up but it's possible the 02 has some changes internally that may be an issue with the 98's computer. Your best bet is to talk to a dealer

I was told 2001-2 up is different than the earlier ones by several people. I am not sure of the differences though.

well, I would have to find a truck with the same engine. (I don't have both trucks) I'm just dealing with the typical tranny failure of the 98 year. I know that the 2001 and up? I think is after they fixed the problem with the transmission. I agree it will probably be different internally, I just didn't know if you guys have ever heard of this being done before?

assuming you are talking about the 46re trans, the answer would be yes,but you will need the special adapter to use the old style neutral safety backup light switch in place of the newer shift position sensor that drives the lighted shift position indicator in the 2002 instrument panel.

-
Back