98 Durango slt ecm/computer issue

-

Lecki6

Reaction score
Got a 98 Durango SLT that had no ECM, snagged one from a 2000 Durango SLT and it seems like there's some wiring issues? Runs all right but the turn signal makes all the dash lights flash.. Any issue with putting the 00' ECM in the 98, or are these issues unrelated?

Edit: it's the 5.9 v8 just want to make sure it's kosher before I pull it

Brake, ABS and door ajar lights are always on, I'm assuming the door light is from the back door that has some damage from an accident

Lecki6,

the 98 pcm is a JTEC and the 2000 is a JTEC+. that can cause issues with instruments but typically affect tach, oil press, fuel level etc. The turn signal sounds like a wiring problem. Bad ground would do that, bad switch can too. The damage will keep door light on for sure, have one thats the same. The ABS/Brake light will turn on if the 2000 doesnt have ABS or if the ABS controller is different. I am surprised you found two Durangos and neither has SKIM. Thats about 1 in 9 x 2. There will also be codes that will set once you drive it, HVLP code as the 98 wouldnt have had a leak detection pump. It wont shift correctly as they changes govenor pressure transducer/trans temp sender between 99-00. Early trans with late PCM means no overdrive and harsh shifts. You will also get O2 pre heater relay codes as 98 didnt have pre heaters. There is an electric fan output on 00 that will want to see voltage load at request of fan and will set a fan relay circuit bad code. The good news is that the 00 pcm is more valuable than the 98 you need. Look for a PCM out of a 98-99 Ram AT or 98-99 Dakota AT PCM. These are super common, dont have SKIM at all and if you get a 5.2 PCM it will run much better like you got a flash. The 5.9 PCM has no timing and tons of fuel. If you want to unload the 00, PM me, we can trade or just buy it.

Lecki6,

the 98 pcm is a JTEC and the 2000 is a JTEC+. that can cause issues with instruments but typically affect tach, oil press, fuel level etc. The turn signal sounds like a wiring problem. Bad ground would do that, bad switch can too. The damage will keep door light on for sure, have one thats the same. The ABS/Brake light will turn on if the 2000 doesnt have ABS or if the ABS controller is different. I am surprised you found two Durangos and neither has SKIM. Thats about 1 in 9 x 2. There will also be codes that will set once you drive it, HVLP code as the 98 wouldnt have had a leak detection pump. It wont shift correctly as they changes govenor pressure transducer/trans temp sender between 99-00. Early trans with late PCM means no overdrive and harsh shifts. You will also get O2 pre heater relay codes as 98 didnt have pre heaters. There is an electric fan output on 00 that will want to see voltage load at request of fan and will set a fan relay circuit bad code. The good news is that the 00 pcm is more valuable than the 98 you need. Look for a PCM out of a 98-99 Ram AT or 98-99 Dakota AT PCM. These are super common, dont have SKIM at all and if you get a 5.2 PCM it will run much better like you got a flash. The 5.9 PCM has no timing and tons of fuel. If you want to unload the 00, PM me, we can trade or just buy it.
While they're both JTEC the guage driving changed for 2000. 2000+ is different than the earlier guage setups.

It's a complete tossup on whether they have SKIM. I think out of them I've seen it's entirely mixed. I can't recall seeing an OBD-II ZJ wihout SKIM, but definitely agree pickups are the more sure thing, especially lower trim.

-
Back